I am a bad cook.

I seriously think I need to take a cooking class. I feel like I understand the concept of cooking well but can't execute. DH cooks most of the time because he likes to, but I would like to be more competent in the kitchen. Any recommendations? I'm thinking about taking a cooking class, but is there anything to do at home to improve my technique (or lack thereof)?

Vix920

Asked by Vix920 at 6:36 PM on May. 29, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Get some books! Once you read a few, get familiar with the terms, and the tools/equipment, measurments. Start out small, find a book tailored to first time cooks...they lay it out pretty easty. have fun!
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 6:39 PM on May. 29, 2011

• What about having your hubby teach you? Something the two of you can do together. Make it fun.

Watch the Food Network. I'm a pretty good cook and I have learned many a good tip from watching.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 6:39 PM on May. 29, 2011

• find a reciepi that is simple that you want to learn and follow it to the T. even if you dont want to get all those dishes dirty from the measuring but if you do you food will turn out good..
    2breath2live

Answer by 2breath2live at 6:57 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Don't put too much thought into it...don't stress about it not being good enough. Make it fun for yourself and I agree with SpiritedWitch....have your husband teach you. Cooking together is great quality time~!
    cmgIII

Answer by cmgIII at 7:18 PM on May. 29, 2011

• The best way to learn is to start with simple recipes. Go the the library, and check out a cookbook called Pretend Soup. It is a chldren's cookbook, and it will give you a great starting point.

Once you have mastered the basics, you can move on to more challenging recipes

Answer by rkoloms at 7:22 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Oh honey we're in the same boat. I joked about it when dh and i met but i was really ashamed that all i could make was pasta. I tried cookbooks but all the recipes sounded yuck. The answer hit me: the internet! Go to google and search a recipe and you'll find websites that really help. My favorite is allrecipes.com. i learned how to make baked ziti and dh was wowed! It boosted my ego so much. I've learned to cook better and dh doesn't have to cook for us anymore. Seriously it helps.
    tattooedmama126

Answer by tattooedmama126 at 7:51 PM on May. 29, 2011

• The only problem with DH teaching me is that he "doesn't believe in recipes". I'll definitely check out some websites but I think that I need to take a class to get used to handling the utensils and to get a feel for timing. I want to sign up to be on Worst Cooks in America! LOL
    Vix920

Comment by Vix920 (original poster) at 8:44 PM on May. 29, 2011

• food network!
    and fun cook books are always a great way to learn.
    i'm bad at cooking but i can bake.
    i'm like your dh tho, i don't really enjoy using recipes.
    i just like to make stuff up.
    that's why i'm not very good i think lol!
    dayziesnrozes

Answer by dayziesnrozes at 10:59 PM on May. 29, 2011

• i agree with food network, that's where i learned most of what i know
    flamingomegs

Answer by flamingomegs at 6:46 AM on May. 30, 2011