Any opinions on the breastflow bottles!

I am expecting my second baby boy in about 8 weeks. I was planning to EBF but today at lunch we where talking to DS who is 3 years old and he is so excited to get to help with brother. We have explained on his level how mommy will feed brother which is fine with him but DH asked if there was a chance that I would pump and let them have a chance to feed brother. I have been researching today and came across The First Years Breastflow bottles. What are your opinions? I want a not to expensive bottle but I also want to avoid nipple confusion.

sweetpea_mama

Asked by sweetpea_mama at 6:40 PM on May. 29, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Lots of moms switch back and forth without an issue, like women who have to go back to work and pump. I never had to offer my kids a bottle, but that's not how every breastfeeding relationship has to be. Women can be perfectly successful breastfeeding alone, breastfeeding and pumping, or just pumping. Pumping is an option and can be a good one, regardless of your reasons. Do what works for you and be glad you're giving your child breastmilk.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:25 PM on May. 30, 2011

• They are very very good! My friend had a horrible time trying to get her son to latch, and was switching back and forth between breast and breastflow bottles. In the end, she finally gave up on the breast and exclusively pumped until he was a year old. I was really surprised at how well the breastflow bottles mimic the breast. When I fed her son with them, I was watching how he used his mouth and cheeks, and it was almost exactly the same as when I nursed my kids. They are nothing like regular bottles with regard to the way the baby positions his mouth. They also acted like the breast, reducing gas. Like my own breastfed babies, I almost never had to burp him. They are cool bottles for anyone planning to breastfeed and pump.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:44 PM on May. 29, 2011

• This is what I have read on the reviews. I think we will try these out for baby whan he comes.
    sweetpea_mama

Comment by sweetpea_mama (original poster) at 6:59 PM on May. 29, 2011

• SIL loves them, she BFs but her DD takes the breastflow and goes back & forth with no problems. She wouldn't take any other bottles. Only downside is their price.
    Anonymous

• I had these and they worked pretty good but mine leaked a lot. My son just wasn't used to them
    LeslieNBreaux

Answer by LeslieNBreaux at 9:23 PM on May. 29, 2011

• My husband does understand this but he is a very hands on husband and dad. His main priority is to take care of me. We are just exploring options. I am not saying I'm only going to pump and bottle feed. Why does someone always have to answer with the you should do it this way cause its best. We have options now and why is it such a bad thing to want to use these options.
    sweetpea_mama

Comment by sweetpea_mama (original poster) at 10:44 AM on May. 30, 2011

• Bottles at any age can mess up breastfeeding. It's not worth the risk. You can explain to your child that it's not good for babies to drink from bottles and that it is your job to take care of the baby. There are lots of other ways fathers can take care of their baby. Fathers should understand how important breastfeeding is and that the best help they can be is to take care of his child's mother.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:35 AM on May. 30, 2011