Military care packages!!!!

ladies!................ i want to send my hubby in afghanistan home baked cookies and brownies! it will take 5-7 days to get there what would be the best way to keep them fresh? ive heard vaccum seal but i dont have one of those if theres another way plz share.. thank

Armywifelovely

Asked by Armywifelovely at 6:45 PM on May. 29, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I use ziplock containers. I put waxed paper in between each layer. Hubby always says they are perfect when they get there, but of course anything is better than an MRE, lol :)
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 6:49 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Ask in the Military Moms group. And thank you to your family for your husband's service

Answer by rkoloms at 6:49 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I just mailed some cake in mason jars and they vacuum seal when they come out of the oven once you put the lid on. I've heard that works but won't know for a few weeks. As far as cookies go I don't think there is a way without a sealer. Don't buy that Glad bag one that has the little pump you press on the bag. I bought one since it was only about $10 and it didn't work at all. Used to have a vacuum sealer and it worked great.
    AntoinetteF

Answer by AntoinetteF at 6:51 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Antoinette, could you send me the recipe and how you make the cakes in the mason jars? That is an awesome idea!
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 6:55 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I send cookies all the time to my son, I put them in a ziploc bag and get as much air out as possible then place inside a cookie tin. I seal it with tape. He says they taste just like I took them out of the oven. Very fresh :) You can buy tins at the dollar store. Also he tells me the tins work great for storing stuff so at least he's using them and not throwing them away :)
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 7:00 PM on May. 29, 2011

• A vaccum sealer would be a good investment - my mom bought one when my brother was in Iraq and he said stuff tasted fresh from the oven. I'd be leary of some containers/bags (ziploc, etc) because they can make food taste plastic-y. And shipping glass jars isn't always safe - I work for the USPS and boxes, even when they say "fragile, handle with care" get THROWN/dropped. Anywho, that's my experience, I stick with sending my brother the Betty Crocker warm delights since he had a microwave. Thank you to him for his service, and to you for holding down the homefront!
    Anonymous

• get a container that seals really well. my sister sent some brownies to her friend in afghanistan and wrapped them in saran wrap and put then in an air tight container. lock n' lock container are perfect for it.
    LeslieNBreaux

Answer by LeslieNBreaux at 9:21 PM on May. 29, 2011

• we just used bags when we sent stuff to my baby brother
    no complaints.
    dayziesnrozes

Answer by dayziesnrozes at 10:58 PM on May. 29, 2011

• muffin

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 11:53 PM on May. 30, 2011