Swearing

My son is swearing a lot, and I was wondering if anyone has used soap before? How do they do it, and does it work?

mjohns

Asked by mjohns at 7:06 PM on May. 29, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I personally would not do it. My parents did it to us as kids and it was REVOLTING!!! Seriously disgusting. Do you swear in front of him? Because that could be where he gets it from.
    cmgIII

Answer by cmgIII at 7:28 PM on May. 29, 2011

• My parents used soap on me the two times I swore in their house growing up. I can't honestly tell you whether it worked or not; I was truthfully more afraid of their anger/disappointment than the soap itself. That just seemed like a silly threat. Yeah, it tastes gross, but it goes away in like a minute.

Personally, I'd use a punishment or deprivation that you know will get the point across to your son. You know him better than others would; take away his computer time or his friend time or whatever would upset him the most and let him know he doesn't get it back until he proves he can use appropriate language. GL!
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 7:29 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I dont swear he hears it at school. Thanks for the response. For your guys how wast he soap done to you as a kids, just curious in case I think of doing it? Like procedure.
    mjohns

Comment by mjohns (original poster) at 7:58 PM on May. 29, 2011

• My parents always put a couple drops in our mouths and we were not allowed to spit it out....we had to swallow.
    cmgIII

Answer by cmgIII at 10:09 PM on May. 29, 2011

• ohh, was it hard to swallow and did they make sure that you swallowed it/
    mjohns

Comment by mjohns (original poster) at 10:11 PM on May. 29, 2011

• My parents did soap once, but it was the bar soap and I had to sit there with it half way in and half way out, but most of the time if we swore, it was Tabasco sauce, about 5 drops on the tongue.... Yup did swear anymore... well not in front of them at least.

sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 11:45 PM on May. 29, 2011

• sheloveearth thanks, how long did you have to have the soap in for? Was it really, really gross? How long for the tobasco?
    mjohns

Comment by mjohns (original poster) at 11:56 PM on May. 29, 2011

• ohh and how was it timed, and like what did you do so I can be prepared to deal with it lol!! Thnaks a bunch Sheeloveearth
    mjohns

Comment by mjohns (original poster) at 12:01 AM on May. 30, 2011

• I think the soap was about 5 minutes, it was absolutely disgusting. Seems like your mouth just salivates a lot more when you have soap in it LoL. The Tabasco was dropped on my tongue, and I could swallow, but it just made your entire mouth burn....

sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 8:45 AM on May. 30, 2011

• Sheloveearth thanks, so who timed the 5 minutes and what did you have to do while it was in? Just trying to get the whole picture?
    mjohns

Comment by mjohns (original poster) at 4:22 PM on May. 30, 2011