How do you deal with your toddler throwing a fit?

My son is something else right now. Crying, throwing himself around. Looking at me shreiking. OMG. I am just going to ignore the tantrum right now.
He keeps going in and out of it to pick his nose so it must not be that bad lol.

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 7:16 PM on May. 29, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Walk away. It sounds so silly and simple, but it is the ONLY thing that works for me. My 2 year old throws some scary tantrums, and they happen out of nowhere. If I walk away and ignore her, the irrationality usually melts into sadness. Then if she's genuinely crying instead of screaming or being ridiculous, I can go back in and give her a hug, remind her that she was acting very badly, and ask her to explain why she's upset. Good luck! It is sooooo hard to deal with sometimes!
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 7:19 PM on May. 29, 2011

• At home walk away and don't react. In a restaurant pick him up and carry him out till he collects himself. Also, I tell everyone The Happiest Toddler on the Block was miraculous for us. Basically, little kids don't have the words to express their anger, sadness, etc. So if he's mad or frustrated, you look him in the eyes and say, "Yes, I understand! You are MAD, mad, mad. I get it. You are mad at that toy or whatever." It gives them words and validates their feelings.
    Anonymous

• Fortunately my 2 year old is very easy to read. But he does have a temper. I walk away from him regularly. If he's just wanting attention he will follow me and fall out again to make sure I see but I talk with him and let it play out. I don't coddle him though, I don't want to encourage the behavior. He knows that if he's acting like a brat he won't get my attention in a positive way and it usually ends as quickly as it started.
    momofour09

Answer by momofour09 at 8:46 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I like Anon's idea of giving them words. My son is 14 months old and already exhibiting signs of tantrums. I will definitely check out that book. Thanks, Anon. :)
    Vix920

Answer by Vix920 at 9:16 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I don't really have a hard time dealing with him, I was just starting a topic of discussion since that was what was going on in my home, lol. I think tantrums can be slightly comical. ie: son stopping to pick his nose every once in a while. lol I was so laughin on the inside at that. But I know why he is throwing the tantrum, he has his pre-molars coming in and it is bothering him. Gave him hylands, which didn't help much, so then gave him another homeopathic remedy and now he's a sleep, he wa tired and in pain. poor baby.
    DomoniqueWS

Comment by DomoniqueWS (original poster) at 9:38 PM on May. 29, 2011