Birthday Ideas for a Two Year Old

I'm trying to plan a relatively cheap birthday party for my soon to be two year old. I'm not sure if I should just invite family or family and close friends. For her first birthday we did a bbq and invited immediate family and great grandparents, extended aunts, uncles, and cousins. I was thinking this year it would be nice to invite my friends and their children. Is it okay to throw a party and just have cake and ice cream. Please let me know your ideas. Thanks!

lala9

Asked by lala9 at 7:17 PM on May. 29, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ya, keep it mellow. You don't have to make a huge deal out of it. If there's cake, there's gonna be a happy birthday girl. That's what matters. Most kids don't remember this birthday anyway.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:19 PM on May. 29, 2011

• It's perfectly okay in my opinion! Most people just come to enjoy the day with you and your child.
    cmgIII

Answer by cmgIII at 7:19 PM on May. 29, 2011

• It depends on the time of day if you should have other food or not...just because people get hungry around regular meal times.
    My friend had a party for her daughter and it was from 4 pm-8pm and all she had was cake and juice. And we were FAMISHED!! LOL It was a bowling party so it was kinda hard to leave when our kids were in a middle of a game...but we had to make them leave early because the younger one was really hungry.
    So when you plan it, just plan a good time..like maybe in between lunch and dinner and keep it relativley short..maybe a 2 hr party? And if your sending invites have it say something like "Please join us for cake and icecream to celebrate__________'s 2nd birthday!" That way they won't be expecting other food and they'll eat before they come.
    Have fun!!!! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:13 PM on May. 29, 2011

• ORRR...you can always make the party a pot luck! Your inviting family right? Just ask if they could bring a dish. Our families are really big on that...I don't even have to ask them to bring anything, they just call and ask what I'm making and they they bring somethign that would go good with it,lol. We always end up with a ton of great food and never costs us an arm and a leg.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:15 PM on May. 29, 2011

• It's definitely ok to do just cake & ice cream. I agree that it should be specific on the invitation that it is ONLY cake & ice cream and make it at a time between meals.
    Vix920

Answer by Vix920 at 9:14 PM on May. 29, 2011