Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How would you handle this?

And I thought drama like this was only on Lifetime... Our youngest son (4 MO) caught a bad cold which turned into baby bronchitis. We did everything necessary for him (alot of the tips from here - thanks mamas!) but my MIL came over last night and told me we were killing him from neglect and she was calling CPS this morning unless I could fax her proof of his dr's visit. (she didn't like his peds diagnosis and wanted him hospitalized!). So I drug him out at 9 at night in freezing rain to take him to Urgent care. Our 2 oldest were home when she went off on DH and I, now my 7 YO DD doesn't want to leave my side and had nightmares all night that she'll be taken away, our 14 YO DS never wants to set eyes on his grandparents again.

Answer Question

Asked by plylerjones at 7:41 AM on Dec. 9, 2008 in General Parenting

Level 11 (508 Credits)
Answers (57)
  • Your MIL needs to be put in her place and your husband needs to do it. If my MIL ever called CPS on something that stupid on us, to say she'd never see our children again would be an understatement.

    Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:44 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

  • We got back from the ER at 1130 last night, diagnosis still the same, treatment still the same. DH went to work, and MIL calls to demand if I took the baby in. She said she called ever ER in our county and they have no record.... She didn't call Urgent Care and said if I didn't fax his discharge papers to her office this morning she was sending the cops to take away our kids.
    DH and I have been married 17 years - I'm a banker, he's a steelworker, we have a 5 bedroom house and if you saw my kids you would KNOW they eat well! We think her threat is financially motivated (take the kids and collect child support - she hates her current job). con'td

    Answer by plylerjones at 7:44 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

  • What I need to know is - how's the best way to handle this? I haven't slept since Sunday and DH was so upset at work last night his boss thinks he was having a heart attack. I'm afraid to send the kids to school because I think they might get grabbed. Would you fax the papers? And if we give in now, how long before she uses the CPS thing over and over to get us to do what she wants?
    Also, she is not their biological grandmother - she is their grandfather's wife. Can she get custody?
    sorry so long ladies :-(

    Answer by plylerjones at 7:45 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

  • Oh, and I'd fax her this morning alright...saying "Go ahead and call CPS you stupid b*tch!" But that's just me...

    Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:45 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

  • Tell her you dont have to and you will not send her sh*t! That is it is your child and she can mind her own damn business. She will be the one looking crazy by calling cps when you have clearly had your child to the doctors and you are doing everything the doctors told you. And cps can check in on that with your doctors. Your mil will then look and hopefully feel stupid when her "reporting" goes nowhere because she are not killing or neglecting your child. Man, what a B*tch! Good luck and dont let her be the boss of your family.

    Answer by asholan_07 at 7:45 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

  • Keeley - when she started threatening us he threw her out of the house, she said she was calling right then and there. The kids were freaking out and they have never seen their father so mad!

    Answer by plylerjones at 7:46 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

  • first of all i never would have drug that baby out at night already sick in the freezing rain becuz of some fruit cake that should have nothing to say about the way ;you care for your children, i would have let her call cps and i would have explained everything to them and then i would have called the police and filed harrassment charges. i don't care whose mother she is and i would let the stupid bitch know what she has done to the other children too. good luck hon cuz you have a fruit loop for a mother in law

    Answer by jodi205 at 7:46 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

  • i would call the police station honestly even if they can't do anything right now tell them you at least want a report of this harrassment and the next time there will already be somthing on record and tell them that you are afraid to send you kids to skool and why this woman is just crazy

    Answer by jodi205 at 7:48 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

  • If you are taking care of your children, CPS won't take them away. You have the diagnosis and you are taking care of your sick little guy by following the doctor's orders, they won't do anything but pay a visit. And your MIL can't send the cops to take away your kids, only CPS can do that...and that would be AFTER an investigation.

    Don't worry about it. If you aren't doing anything wrong, she doesn't have a leg to stand on.

    If you are proven to be unfit and the children are taken away, she can request that they be placed with her, yes.

    Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:49 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

  • I agree with the others, tell her to go ahead and call CPS....they'll come in, check your kids, house, and records and chalke it up to a false report. As for your MIL, I'd go file charges for communicating threats and take out a restraining order for you and your kids.

    Answer by Kimebs at 7:57 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.