Is it wrong for me to use military discount????

My ex is in the military so my DD has a military ID. There are several places around town that offer military discounts. The other day, I was in Rack Room Shoes buying shoes for me and my DD. I ended up getting 4 pair, 3 for my DD one for me. I pulled out my DD's military ID to get 15% off. Well my DH was with us and he is clearly not military (longer hair, not long but certainly not anything he would be allowed in the military) and the woman behind us said in a snotty voice "excuse me, which one of you are enlisted" and I said "neither but her bio father is so she has the ID so when we buy her shoes here I use it". Now I don't use it if I am just buying shoes for me but the were BOGO so I did one order with both her shoes and then one with a pair of mine and a pair of her's, so it worked out this time that I got a pair under the discount. She said that I should be ashamed for using it when it is for military families only. While my DD is not part of a "military family" her bio father is and one of the few benefits she gets is getting her shoes 15% off on Tuesdays. Because I don't have a military ID, we can't go on base, so my DD can't take advantage of the commissary or the community pool or the other activities they have. I really don't see how it is a big deal that we use the military ID to get SOME of the same discounts that people would be fine with us getting for my DD if me and my ex were together. I mean my DD legitimately has the ID. Well the women said only her dad should be able to buy the shoes with the discount (really cause she's 4 and he's never bought her a pair of shoes in her life). Am I wrong here? I could understand if I was just buying for me and my DH but 3 out of 4 of the pairs were FOR HER!!!

JLS2388

Asked by JLS2388 at 7:28 PM on May. 29, 2011 in Money & Work

• Why would you even justify that woman with an answer. Your daughter has a military ID so therefore since you are her custodial parent and the shoes were clearly for your child the id was being legitimately used. I would have ignored the rude woman or asked her what business it was of hers.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 7:39 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I didn't know you could get a military ID at the age of 4. Did they change the age? If so I need to get my oldest one in a couple of months. Anyways, if the shoes were for her then I don't see the problem. She is the daughter of a soldier.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 7:40 PM on May. 29, 2011

• See I guess I just don't know the rules on it or something. lol
    JLS2388

Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 7:40 PM on May. 29, 2011

• She got hers when my ex enlisted she was 2, my nephew is 6 months and has one
    JLS2388

Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 7:42 PM on May. 29, 2011

• If you were using it on yourself then yea I'd say it was wrong, but you are using it for your DD's shoes and I don't see any problem in taht at all.
    AimBre

Answer by AimBre at 7:43 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Oh wow, I didn't know that.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 7:48 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I am a soldier and buying items for your DD is what it is FOR! Use it for her things and tell everyone else to F*** off. Doesn't matter that you're divorced. However, don't use it on yourself, that's just not right and can result in it being pulled.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 8:32 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Of course she's entitled to the discount! I'm retired military and regardless of your marital status she is his daughter! Next time someone says something to you tell them to MYOB!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 8:32 PM on May. 29, 2011

• My DH just told me that you can retain you military ID after divorce. If so I wouldn't worry about it.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 8:36 PM on May. 29, 2011

• we were never married so I never had one but I have her's since I am the one who raises her
    JLS2388

Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 9:01 PM on May. 29, 2011