Is it bad to let your four month old watch the tv? She always stares at it when it's on and i think its because there are so many colors and so much going on. I think she may get overstimulated though. Any thoughts?

TiffanyJewell

Asked by TiffanyJewell at 7:40 PM on May. 29, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We let my son watch the first stage of Your Baby Can Read at 3 months old. He loved it and so did we! It gave us an extra 30mins-1hr of sleep in the morning haha. He started speaking pretty young, especially for a boy. I plan on doing the same thing when my daughter's 3 months old!
    ours

Answer by ours at 7:42 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I definitely think it's overstimulating for a baby. I never let my kids watch that young, and I always tried to keep them facing away from the tv even when it was on (my older ones do watch).

Answer by missanc at 7:45 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I've always wondered if those dvds worked. I have seen a lot of commercials on them but I am iffy about stuff I see on tv. I read to her now and talk to her all the time about waht we are doing and such. I really like the baby einsteins videos though- I think music is SO important so I have a lot of baby cds.
    TiffanyJewell

Comment by TiffanyJewell (original poster) at 7:45 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I think they helped my son a lot. He started talking before any of the other kids his age did. As far as the reading part though, he never caught on to that. If you do decide to get them, get them from Walmart. They're A LOT cheaper.
    ours

Answer by ours at 7:54 PM on May. 29, 2011

• haha I LOVE WALMART. Thank you for the advice.
    TiffanyJewell

Comment by TiffanyJewell (original poster) at 7:54 PM on May. 29, 2011

• OVER STIMULATING?? UM NO ITS PERFECTLY FINE FOR YOUR BABY TO WATCH TV THATS WHY THEY MAKE PROGRAMS LIKE BABY EINSTEIN ....NOW IM NOT SAYING TO USE THE TV AS A BABYSITTER BUT ALL MY KIDS HAVE WATCHED TV BASICALLY SINCE BIRTH
    triplettmommy08

Answer by triplettmommy08 at 8:08 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Not bad a t all. She will learn to talk early from it. Just don't let her sit there instead of being active.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:08 PM on May. 29, 2011

• My son liked those Baby Einstein DVD's. I liked them for the music and colors and puppets and things, not for any learning or anything. My daughter could have cared less about them. My kids will learn enough when they officially start their schooling years, I'm not real big on force feeding before then. I'm trying to be rude or offensive, this is just my opinion and I'm pretty low on tact at the moment.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:12 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I have a 4 month old as well, and she likes tv. I let her sit in her bouncy and watch a little in the morning after I get her brothers on the bus and I need a minute to find my brain that jumped ship lol
    Leelee1008

Answer by Leelee1008 at 10:44 PM on May. 29, 2011

• My son watches Disney Junior. He loves Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. I was told its fine in moderation because the stimulation is good for the baby.
    FinalScore1to1

Answer by FinalScore1to1 at 11:40 PM on May. 29, 2011