How long do you hang on to things that you do not use, before selling them or giving them away? Big ticket items such as sleds, skidoos, seadoos, boats, four wheelers, travel trailers, tent trailers, cargo trailers.

QandA

Asked by QandA at 7:52 PM on May. 29, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Seasonal items-sleds, boats, etc I would say 2 yrs. Look at why they are not being used as suggested by PP.
    alexsmomma06

Answer by alexsmomma06 at 10:55 PM on May. 29, 2011

• My rule for most small things is that if you haven't used it in a year, you are not going to use it. But for a travel trailer, maybe you didn't camp because someone was sick that year? Have your kids outgrown these things? Are you downsizing? Maybe don't think about "how long" but "why" do you want to get rid of them?

I have a pasta machine, and every few years I will buy some good flour and make TONS of homemade pasta, all different kinds. Even though I only use it every few years, I love to have fresh pasta on hand to eat and give for gifts. If I went by my "rule", I would have given the machine away years ago. So, every rule has its exception.

If I was paying money to store something, I would get rid of it. Except the boat, that goes without saying! But if it costs you money just sitting there, and you are not using it, that's a no-brainer IMO. Good luck!
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 9:30 PM on May. 29, 2011

• When they start to get in the way.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 2:32 AM on May. 30, 2011

• 1 YR
    RACINGMANIA

Answer by RACINGMANIA at 9:47 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I hold onto things for way too long but it always seems as soon as I get rid of something I always need it
    fryshannon34

Answer by fryshannon34 at 10:07 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Usuallly a year or so
    aj23

Answer by aj23 at 1:05 AM on May. 30, 2011

• Well let's see, my husband wrecked his snowmobile in 2000 and quit racing his quad in 2003 so as soon as we sell these two items (just to name a couple of them that we have) I will get back to you. =)
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 9:05 AM on May. 30, 2011

• we have an entertainment center and dining room table that aren't being used currently but are hanging onto them for my college-age siblings who may need them in the next year or two. and the only reason is because we have the space to do so. once you don't have room for more important things, then you reevaluate and purge
    flamingomegs

Answer by flamingomegs at 9:25 AM on May. 30, 2011

• I'd have no idea. I don't own any of that.
    malexander2009

Answer by malexander2009 at 3:17 PM on May. 30, 2011