Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mental disease and unsupervised visitation

I have been fighting to get supervisied visits or none for my daughters father. He is abusive emotionally and physically. I have a restraining on him but courts still give him unsupervised visits. I have fought for them to get his mental history because I know something is wrong. Over the years I watched in turn into a monster.
Well this afternooon his mother tells me has been diagnosied with schizophernia, paranoia and bipolar. with this help my case?

she also suggested i speak to her doctors to let them knoe of that because it can be herediary. should i?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:08 PM on May. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

Answers (9)
  • Its hard to get supervised visits if the parent is not harmful to the child, but u can use it against him if hes not controlling it on meds to stay stable.

    Answer by angelrach86 at 8:11 PM on May. 29, 2011

  • No it wont help your case unless he has shown to be a danger to himself or others, has threatened to hurt the child, or has hurt the child.

    Answer by gemgem at 8:12 PM on May. 29, 2011

  • I hope so since I am going through the same thing.

    Answer by IamErin-K. at 8:18 PM on May. 29, 2011

  • Oviously he is a danger... he is mentally unstable there is no telling when and what he will do.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:18 PM on May. 29, 2011

  • First of all, his doctor cannot give you any information about his diagnosis because of confidentiality laws. He would have to sign a release for them to give the information to you, and I doubt he would do that so you could use it against him in court. You could petition the court to subpoena the information or have him submit to a court-ordered psych evaluation, but that would require some compelling reason. You need an attorney.

    Secondly, he can not have been diagnosed with Schizophrenia, paranoia, and bipolar. He could have Schizophrenia, paranoid type. Or he could have bi-polar I or bi-polar II with paranoid symptoms, but paranoia in itself is not a mental disorder, and you cannot have both bipolar AND schizophrenia. One would preclude the other.

    Third, these disorders can run in families, but they also require environmental triggers. You need to educate yourself first of all, so you don't lose credibility.

    Answer by DarlaHood at 8:36 PM on May. 29, 2011

  • If you tell the courts what you said here, they will know you don't know what you're talking about. Having a mental disorder is not a reason to take someone's parental rights, and these disorders can be treated. Only a small percentage of people with Bi-polar or Schizophrenia are actually a danger to others, and this is when they are in acute episodes. Medications can create periods of stability and remission of symptoms. You can't discriminate against a parent because of a psychiatric illness.

    IF he is abusive, that is a separate issue. That's what you need to focus on. The reason for his abusive behavior is not relevant to you unless his medical practitioner says it is. If he is seeing a doctor, that professional is mandated by law to report any situation where a patient or client is a danger to others. If his practitioner knows he has children and has unsupervised visits, there isn't much more you can say.

    Answer by DarlaHood at 8:40 PM on May. 29, 2011

  • You have to document EVERYTHING meticulously. Do NOT ask your child if he/she is abused. Ask how the visit was. Ask how his/her daddy is. Ask if they had fun. Document what you ask exactly. Document anything your child says. Do it on a calendared journal where it shows the date, and is in whatever pen/pencil you have handy. Don't erase anything. If you make an error, just put a line through it. Don't write what you think about the situation. Stick to the facts. Don't say, I think Jim may have abused Johnny because Johnny came home sad. Just write, Johnny came home sad. I asked if he was o.k. He said yes, and went to his room. OR Jim came to get Johnny, but Johnny cried for 20 minutes and clung to me saying he wanted to stay home. Just facts. If he is abusive, the facts will show it. Educate your child about how to protect him/herself. Make sure they have a cellphone and know how to call for help.

    Answer by DarlaHood at 8:45 PM on May. 29, 2011

  • darlahood.. i am trying to educate myself. I just found out a couple of hours ago. His mom told me paranoiaschizo. she may have had the terminology wrong. He did not give us the records. He was so bad in the mental hospital that they told his mother and she told me so that is how i know.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:53 PM on May. 29, 2011

  • cant give my child a phone she is only 3. he has visitation but never visited for the exception of one day when he kidnapped her for 3 days and did not let me speak to her know where she was.
    the next time she saw him she cried and didnt want to go near him

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:56 PM on May. 29, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in General Parenting
Ikea cribs?

Next question overall (Just for Fun)
Tire Blew Out Today!