Is this wrong of me?

to not want to let my son be around my dad?

my dad has told me that if my son pisses him off enough that he'll hit my son, he's hit me more then once so its not unlikely...i just feel really bad for even thinking of this....cuz i barely see my grand parents..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:23 PM on May. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• you can always do supervised visits, only let your son around him when you are so you can keep an eye on things. i am honestly all for spanking, but if its not what you like as a form of punishment then stick to what you want to do because its your child and not your dads.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 8:27 PM on May. 29, 2011

• No, there's nothing wrong with looking out for your child's safety. I have family that I don't visit because I don't trust them with my kids. If you're uncomfortable, you can try talking to him about it. If he's not willing to understand, listen and respect your wishes then it's more than okay to limit time spent.
    momofour09

Answer by momofour09 at 8:28 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I'm debating with myself if I'm going to let MIL be around baby... But do w/e feels right to you
    SamJ321

Answer by SamJ321 at 8:28 PM on May. 29, 2011

• i dont mean spanking when i say hit...my dad punched me in the face when i wouldn't stop crying when i was 8 that's where my thought of "i dont want my son around him at all" comes from
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:28 PM on May. 29, 2011

• No, it would be wrong if you let your dad do that to your son, it's your job to protect your son, not to make your dad happy! Good luck sweetie. I'm sorry he treated you like that. Some people don't know any different.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 8:33 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Well, it sounds as though your Dad doesn't want to be around your son too much, either. Who knows what his too-high level of "pissing off" is, and you need to look out for the safety of your child. If your gut is saying not to let him around your son, then don't. Trust your instincts.
    GlowWorm889

Answer by GlowWorm889 at 8:33 PM on May. 29, 2011

• No, its not wrong of you. If anyone in my family made a threat like that about one of my kids..I wouldnt take them over thier house either. I would say fine...if thats the way you feel and think, I just won't bring him then. Because there is no way in hell I would allow someone hit my child (other than myself or thier father...just to spank for discipline).
    UGH..that just urks me.
    I'm sorry for your situation. :(
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:36 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Letting him be near someone who has threatened to abuse him would be negligent on your part. I think you're right to feel the way you do.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 8:36 PM on May. 29, 2011

• No it isnt wrong. My mil hit my dd once, claimed it was spanking, I told her if she ever touched her again it would be the last time she saw her.

Answer by gemgem at 8:41 PM on May. 29, 2011

• no u arent wrong.
    angelrach86

Answer by angelrach86 at 8:52 PM on May. 29, 2011