My hubs and I plan to open the doors to our health club.....umm lol he has only hired women, plus other employment issues....opinions welcome

So we are opening a health club
My hubs has only hired women, 4 to be exact. I can't be looking sexest here, I think we should hire the rest all male if possible, what do you think? I am looking to hire 8 employees for now, and as I weed out who is serious and who is not I will add more. PLus I want to train them, and then after losing a few, probably, when I hire new ones on they can train the new ones. I figure who ever takes the most initiative should get the management positions. (which I am prepared to offer benefits to all FT managers and Employees)

Heres where we disagree again, he wants to hire a manager, like someone who has past experience. I think thats a crap shoot, I'd rather get fresh people, train them how I want, and find the leader. What do you think?

Also, I guess the last detail thats a costly decision. He wants to put in a smoothies bar, all fruit smoothies, and juicers. The catch??? He wants everything to be local and organic. sure most things here are organic, and buying local is easy, but when it isn't berry season, or melon season, etc how do we compensate for the loss?

But as stands we have a no plastic bottle policy, and all memeber will be rewarded with a water canteen for the first 3 months of having doors open. Cool?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:07 PM on May. 29, 2011 in Money & Work

• I think I agree with you on the employees. The smoothie bar...eh, I'd be so-so on that. And no, I wouldn't be "cool" with the water bottle thing.
    Anonymous

• You are gonna want some men around too, I mean really, you can't just have all women working there. And I think if you want to train them and then find a manager, that is up to you since he seems to be making a lot of the decisions here.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 9:14 PM on May. 29, 2011

• IMHO:

My first thought about a smoothie bar is that you are opening your self up to all new regulations and inspections. If that is something you can deal with now then it sounds cool though you could always boast organic and 'in-season' local produce. That allows you to buy from other organic farms in the off season while supporting your local farmers when possible.

AS far as men vs. women with the hiring. I would be some what careful but at the same time hire for the job. If you end up with 7 women and one man so be it. I worked in a building with all women at one time, we would have a man here and there but the jobs were given based on interview and application not sex.

Manager experience is good. That way while you can groom them how you want, they have a basic idea of how things should go. You aren't starting from scratch plus they may be a wealth of knowledge for helping you company grow.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:15 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Manager, bad idea. I agree with finding a natural leader. The juice bar needs to be gone over more in depth. Get availability charts from the locals you plan on buying from, and sit down with hubby. He may have a problem interviewing men for these positions, so that may be your area. I would go 50/50 man to woman on the hiring and let it fall as it falls when you begin training.

BTW love the canteen idea. Will they have your clubs name on them?
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 9:20 PM on May. 29, 2011

• keeping it local you could buy extra fruit while it's in season and freeze it

Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 9:23 PM on May. 29, 2011

• yes, hire men. I would personally hire a manager that has experience and if he or she can't do what I trained them to do, I would fire them. No to the smoothie bar.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 9:24 PM on May. 29, 2011

• @cueballsmom
    That sounds good, I won't pust to have equal number of each gender later, but I think it is good to start out that way.
    And the canteen idea was the hubbies. He doesn't like a lot of waste. And yes they have our logo, not the name though. :)

We are also implimenting a few other things, like towel service, every member member gets to use our towels, we wash them, steam them, and resuse them. All of our cleaners are natural and organic. So there won't be any harsh chem smells, and it goes right along with how hubby feels. And we already booked a yoga instructor for 2 days, 2 sessions a day for the next 4 months, and a Pilates instructor for T, TH, and Sat over the next 6 months. So excited. Just the last few adjustments needing to be made.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:29 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I also dn't want to hire a manager now because it's our first go at this, I am going to be there to make sure everything runs smoothly. Hubs is doing training, I am booking trainers.

oh and what so annoys me is I totally looked over cycling. Man, I wanted that but in all the madness the individual group class that were offered came up last minute, so that is why we are booking the yoga, and pilats trainer so late. Hubs is a personal trainer and sports trainer so there's another set of classes I can get going.

I guess that has to be the hardest thing to figure out.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:34 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I tend to agree with your husband regarding hiring a manager with experience.  The right person could bring something to the business that you and husband have never even thought of.  I also think that you would want someone in a management position from the get go.  and yes you need to hire some men.

As for the smoothie bar, I think he should keep his options open. I think organic is fine, but limiting yourself to just locally grown could be a problem.

I like the idea of giving away the water canteens, but sometime people may  forget it  at home and to not allow plastics bottles would be annoying to me.

Just my opinions, and  best of luck with your new venture. It sound really exciting.

cherylw993

Answer by cherylw993 at 9:34 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Manager - yes - but I get why you are saying no.
    Smoothi bar - no - then you are diving into a while other set of rules and regs. Keep it simple and gauge what your customers want. Then after a few successful years - go ahead and open it up.
    YEA for YOGA!!!
    Love the Canteen rule!!
    Where is this going to be?? I want to come try it out!!
    shareleann

Answer by shareleann at 2:04 AM on May. 30, 2011