Have you ever worked as a waitress?

If so, did it teach you to tip better or be more understanding? I waited tables for quite sometime and I really enjoyed it b/c I like most ppl. Now hubby says I'm too easy on waitresses if they do something wrong or if they're busy. But he also learned to tip really well-too well sometimes!

pinkclover

Asked by pinkclover at 7:47 AM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Just for Fun

• Ummm I got tips at baskin robins! It did teach me to tip better cuz I know what it takes to have to memorize an order with all the "special stuff" and have to be friendly and get it perfect. I know there were days when I didn't even want to talk to the customer but I had to suck it up cuz that was my job. I have a lot of understanding and respect for waiters and waitresses.

Sorry I didn't get back on. Josh and I had a little tiff and I was pissed off.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 7:51 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Never worked as a waitress but i did some hostessing once,that was fun.
    leahc

Answer by leahc at 7:51 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Yes for about three days when I worked at Kings restaurant. I couldn't get the hang of it, so I went to hostessing lol
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 7:52 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I did and what it taught me is that if you don't do your job correctly, you shouldn't get a good tip. I took pride in my work and worked my butt off and it pissed me off when someone who didn't cater to the customers as I did would get the same tip when clearly they didn't deserve it. It's ridiculous that people are made to feel obligated to give at least a 15-20% tip. I tip by what kind of service I get.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:55 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• No, I haven't. I couldn't handle a job like that because I would dump a plate on someone if they were rude to me. I think I tip good, buttttt it also depends on how good she is. Not all mistakes happen from the kitchen. I'm talking about coming to take our order after 15 minutes of sitting, not checking on us to see if food is good, not bringing things to table as requested or just plan forgetting about us!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:00 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Yep I worked as a waitress most of the time I was a single mom. I am a good tipper because I know its alot of work and at the end of your shift your feet hurt, and sometimes you have to deal with rude ppl or non tippers.

Answer by gemgem at 8:35 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Yes, I waitressed for about 4 years and I am a good tipper and patient with the waitress. The only time that I won't tip them well is if their rude or lazy, not if they mess up, sometimes they get really busy and it's hard not too.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 8:36 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I still do!

I'm a farking good waitress too. The best this restaurant has ever had(they told me so) and I make pretty good tips most of the time. There's so ppl, no matter how wonderful you are, that cease to be amazed at your brilliance and think they're money is safer in their wallet. Those people suck and they go on my list of people never to wait on again. And I never forget a face on my list. Ever.

I'm a good tipper. Actually Dh is because he usually pays and I instruct him to "tip them well"...but I also scrutinize them while they work...I can't help it. I think anyone would do that if it was the same "field" they were in. And if they obviously don't give a shit then why should I? Bad waitresses give good ones a bad rep and I'm not going to tip them well for merely being there. If they work for it, they earn it.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 8:43 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I've been a waitress before...didn't like it one bit, but I was still able to do a good job and the money really isn't bad. I tip alright, not overboard or anything. I have to say, we usually go to the same restaurants when we go out...and we've had the same waitresses for years...we probably tip better for that reason than because I was a waitress before.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:53 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I was a waitress for more than 10 years. I do tip well but at the same time.....if the waitress/waiter isn't doing very well I subtract from that tip!
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 8:54 AM on Dec. 9, 2008