What is a craving?

Today I was cutting up tomatoes for our dinner and I snaked a small chunk for a quick bite. It was freakin' yummy. All of a sudden I needed a whole tomato. I didn't crave one before I had that small bit and I wouldn't be satisfied until I had a full one. Is that a craving? Do you crave things? How does your craving feel when you have them?

Raja828

Asked by Raja828 at 9:24 PM on May. 29, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• i think cravings are pre-meditated lol i occasionally crave sweets and i start thinking about it one minute and then i feel like i have to have it, nothing else will satisfy this sudden urge. when i have it its like tasting baby angels.. so pure, delicious and sweet! lol
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:27 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I've been craving something chocolate and searched high and low and couldn't find anything to my satisfaction, SO, I'm baking homemade brownies right now, lol Now that's a craving!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 9:29 PM on May. 29, 2011

• For me it just feels like I HAVE to have that and have it NOW.
    Gum helps though. So does brushing my teeth.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 3:05 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Cravings are usually Appetite related. The desire to eat something because of a certain reason, such as taste, memory, smell, etc. Some people can develop physiological cravings due to deficiencies. Pica, for example, where people crave things like ice or laundry starch, is usually due to iron deficiency. I personally rarely have cravings, but some women experience them regularly or especially during pre-menstrual or pregnancy times.
    klickitykat

Answer by klickitykat at 11:57 PM on May. 30, 2011