• In the Spotlight:

Kids and puppys!!!!!

Generally speaking, how old is a dog before it stops chewing everything?
What is the best way to train 8week dog and 2 year old to get along?
My puppy is a bulldog/terrier mix and right now is big enough to knock over DS. The dog and my son both just grew and now they are both every where and over energized.

Any tips? Also, neither dog nor kid is going anywhere, just hoping someone knows how to make this easier.

cueballsmom

Asked by cueballsmom at 9:51 PM on May. 29, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Give the dog things to chew on and if he is chewing a lot he is board make sure you take him for walks to stimulate his mind
    RedDahlia82

Answer by RedDahlia82 at 10:02 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Get them outside as much as possible in a safe way, on a leash or in a fenced in yard. They need to burn off all that energy.
    Can you confine the dog to certain rooms, and the boy to other rooms so you have some time where you don't have to constantly oversee them?
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 10:10 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Outside is a great idea! They will literally sit face to face and my DS will yell and the puppy will bark for HOURS! Now, to leash one or both? LMAO!
    cueballsmom

Comment by cueballsmom (original poster) at 10:15 PM on May. 29, 2011

• The puppy will chew on things for another few years I am guessing. I have a one year old dog,and he still tries to chew on things if I am not looking. He has a fondness for real leather ,and the coputer cords. (long sigh)... Some dogs are more "chewy" than other other dogs. I had a beagle in my teen years. He was 2 when I got him,and he never chewed on ANYTHING. The 2 little dogs I have now,on the other hand... they'd chew all day if they could.
    I have a open field nesxt door to me. I have my daughter and the dogs run back and forth. A park might work as well. (But most parks want the dog on a leash). Even walking up and down the sidewalk would prolly help :)
    Gnomes

Answer by Gnomes at 10:26 PM on May. 29, 2011

• It depends on the type of dog you have how long they will chew. Dogs aren't full grown til they are 2 yrs old. If you are struggling with your dog chewing on things or not behaving with your munchkins, you need to be crate training. I had dogs before that I didn't crate train but was told with my Rots that they had to be crate trained as part of their guard training. I have used this method with all my dogs since. My lab isn't a guard dog but she is a delight, and very gentle and well behaved.

Crate training makes it easier to teach everything, including potty habits.
    7babies4me

Answer by 7babies4me at 10:31 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I don't have a good idea for you just wanted to wish you the best of luck...don't know how you are putting up with it all!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 9:16 AM on May. 30, 2011

• We have a 2 year old dog and she still will chew on things if she gets bored. We let them play outside a lot(we have 3 dogs now) and make sure to praise them when they are calm and relaxed inside.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 2:17 PM on May. 30, 2011