I feel like a failure!!

My 17 almost 18 month old son has not said even a peep yet! Not "mama" or "dada" nothing i don't know whats going on. I try to teach him but its not working. He has older siblings that are twins(4) and they talk up a storm i dont see why if anything he hasnt talked earlier because of them!! I know all kids are different but he should be saying something by now! and he is not! Any thoughts on what coud be wrong or am i doing/not doing something right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 PM on May. 29, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• hugsI would check with the Dr some are just late bloomers. Hang in there honey, it will be okay! It isn't you!

chgomom

Answer by chgomom at 10:30 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I take my son to play groups, also 18mos, and I'll tell you, the girls are way more vocal and social. My son's vocab compared to theirs is not even comparable...lol But he does say some things, and is on target. But what my doctor said is most important right now is that he can understand you and follow simple directions.

for instance: I say "lets go brush teeth" my son understands and he goes and gets his stool, stand up on it by the sink, and gets his tooth brush ready for me to put the paste on.

or even simpler: "Bring me the ball" or whatever else he may have picked up on.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 10:32 PM on May. 29, 2011

• What does his doc say about it? Has he passed hearing exams? Does he make sounds?
    Anonymous

• Does he watch a lot of TV? Toddler who watch a lot of tv generally talk much later than those who don't.
    cmgIII

Answer by cmgIII at 10:33 PM on May. 29, 2011

• My son will be 18mos on June 4th and he also has not said one single word either. Its perfectly normal they all develop at their own pace. Not sure what your doc has done but at his 15mo checkup I addressed the issue and she checked his hearing and did some small tests and said he was perfectly normal and not to worry they all develop at their own pace.
    HollySebeck

Answer by HollySebeck at 10:35 PM on May. 29, 2011

• What concerns me is you say he is saying nothing at all. Have you talked to his ped about this? It is possible he has a speech delay. A ped could ask you some questions to determine if it would be a good idea to see a speech therapist for an eval. There is nothing to feel like you failed in. Some kids just need a little extra help to get their speech going or even to improve the speech they have for that matter. Next time you are in the peds office make sure to bring his speech development up.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:38 PM on May. 29, 2011

• hhmmm...you may need to check his hearing, make sure he's not deaf or partially deaf, that could be the problem. i know some kids are different but even at 18 months they still should be saying something, like momma dadda, cup, something.

talk to him constantly, tell him what you're doing, if he wants something like juice, tell him to say "cup" or "juice", also since he has older siblings, don't let them talk for him. they tend to do that for younger siblings. i have to constantly tell my son to let my dd talk for herself. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:39 PM on May. 29, 2011

• my eldest had me so unbelievably worried because he would not talk. for a while i thought that he was going ot have a speech problem or hearing problem, and then his 2nd birthday rolled around and i swear he has not been quite since. he has no speech problems he just did not want to talk. if you are worried aobut this then i would definelty take him to the doctor and get him checked out. i mean its worth it even if its jus to get somepeace of mind.
    2breath2live

Answer by 2breath2live at 10:42 PM on May. 29, 2011

• oh yeah we have this 18 month old at the daycare that has a speech problem...she doesn't talk either. she's in speech therapy. the therapist comes once a week, she's trying to get her to at least grunt or something in response to her, she said that's just the start, she's not pushing the "talking" just yet. maybe try to get a grunt out of him if you can. make sure he can follow directions too, like, "go get the ball" and he does it. but yeah i'd look into speech therapy if you can.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:43 PM on May. 29, 2011

• My son didn't make a sound besides crying and laughing at the same age. I started him in therapy right away, I did anything and everything insurance would cover. Here I am 2 and a half years later and he's still in therapy. He was diagnosed with Pervasive Developmental Disorder, it's a form of Autism. He's high functioning, so he can be pushed harder. Before I had a diagnosis, I figured, speech therapy would only help with the speech hurdle he was facing. I'd talk to the pediatrician about speech therapy. Don't freak out over Autism, it's too young to tell, and the 2 are not necessarily related. He may just have a speech delay and therapy will only help. It should be covered at his age. If you have medicaid or state funded insurance, then it will definitely be covered. If your pediatrician isn't concerned, make it clear that you are. Best of luck to you.
    Aneya

Answer by Aneya at 10:50 PM on May. 29, 2011