Children at work unsupervised?

Alright this kinda bothered me this weekend. My bonus Son's mother works at a family fitness place and she takes BS along with her and lets him roam while she works. We go there pretty much regularly during the winter months to go swimming with the family, this past weekend was our first time going this winter, and my BS was there all by himself roaming the halls that is until he saw us and then we took him with us swimming. I was wondering if I am just over feeling this or if he should be having fun with others while she is working. He is 7. I have a feeling we will be going there more regularly on Saturdays when we do not have our little mister!

jem102675

Asked by jem102675 at 7:58 AM on Dec. 9, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• call me crazy but what is a bonus son
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:01 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• What does BS mean?
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 8:01 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I think that is sad. Roaming around like with no other kids to play with it. He shouldn't be there in the first place IMO. This is a public place right? Anything can happen to him. His has to be bored out of his mind.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:03 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I'm assuming bonus son means step son? Anyhow, I don't think he should be left alone, but I don't know your area either. If his mom is sight at all times, then it's not as big of deal, but she's no where to be seen, who's to say someone won't nab him? Maybe I'm paranoid, but I say no, he should be with a responsible adult.
    Jessy0419

Answer by Jessy0419 at 8:04 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Bonus Son stands for Step Son but just sounds better! I hate wording it step because he is a bonus that came with my husband!
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 8:16 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• His mother was no where in sight! We finally found her in the frount office doing paper work to tell her we were taking him swimming with us! Granted I do not believe there is any other way out of there but the frount door but I did not like seeing him all by himself roaming around!
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 8:19 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• if this fitness center is any thing like mine there are doors to rooms and to outside and to places that achild that young could get hurt by a crazy person because this is open to the public right so maybe you should just go down there when she gets there or offer to take him for the day whats it gonna hurt any way...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• to watch him i mean.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• if your worried about it why not offer to "babysit" while she works?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I would be upset about it. But then again, I panic when my bonus Son's( I am using that from now on btw, thanks) mom leaves him in the store when she goes to the bathroom. He is also 7. I know firsthand what bored children do when left alone. Is there a constant life guard on duty? What all does or would he have access to? I mean, a lot of the machines in a fitness center could really hurt a child if used improperly. I would have your husband, or you if you are on good terms with her, offer to take him on the Saturdays that she works just so she doesn't have to worry about him. Don't say that you are worried or anything, just ask her if it would be easier for her to get her job done if she didn't have to worry about his safety.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 9:07 AM on Dec. 9, 2008