Dog in heat UGH

we have 2 dogs, we have only ever had female dogs and last winter we took in a male. My female is in heat, she is in a cage right now and the male dog is doing nothing but whining and its driving me up a wall, he does it all night. we can not lock him outside and there is no other room to put him in away from the female. any ideas on what to do about this? its to the point where it wakes the kids up at night.

Leelee1008

Asked by Leelee1008 at 10:30 PM on May. 29, 2011 in Pets

• Get them fixed. That is the only way to stop the behavior.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 10:32 PM on May. 29, 2011

• unfortunatly We cant afford that right now. and the male dog is my brothers. We do plan on getting our female fixed though
    Leelee1008

Comment by Leelee1008 (original poster) at 10:40 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Yea i say get them fixed.....get Male Dog a "dog sized" stuffed animal put her "scent" on it and he will go to town on it .....he should ateast.....This is how we get my male dogs thru the "female" in heat phase. Also look into "income based" program where u can get her fixed for a lower rate!! good luck hope everything goes well!!!
    msmamakatie

Answer by msmamakatie at 10:44 PM on May. 29, 2011

• put him in your room for the night? let him sleep with you guys? its just a matter of time, the male dogs will keep doing it till she's done being in heat, but remember she will stay in heat as long as she knows that a male wants her. take it from me, there's 3 male dogs here and one female that used to be in heat, they all wanted her.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 10:50 PM on May. 29, 2011

• It is not fun when they are in heat isn't it? Sorry you are going through this. It stinks.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 9:02 AM on May. 30, 2011

• I would make the male dog sleep in your room for the night. Just put his bed at the foot of your bed and it should help at least a tiny bit.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 9:58 AM on May. 30, 2011

• I recommend getting her spayed but not while she is in heat..her hormones could cause complications...check your local humane societies and shelters..they might provide assistance for the spay! I know my humane society around here does!!
    jlepley

Answer by jlepley at 7:43 PM on May. 31, 2011