Do little girls still read Little House on the Prairie Books?

I loved them as a child and hope my dd will someday love them too. I still have my set from when I was younger and they have been in her room since before she was born. She is only 17 months old, but just wondering if any other little girls still read them.

cherylw993

Asked by cherylw993 at 10:39 PM on May. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would love to see them do this. But its so hard getting them to set and read!!
    msmamakatie

Answer by msmamakatie at 10:41 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I volunteer at my son's elementary school, in the library, and I try to get the 3rd-5th grade girls to read them. Some do, some don't. They tend to go for American Girl books first.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 10:47 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I give them to little girls I know for birthdays.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 10:49 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I've never read them :(
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 10:52 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I have the My First Little House series based off the books for young kids. My DD is 3.5 yo, and she really loves them!
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:57 PM on May. 29, 2011

• So do some don't - depends on the girl.
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 11:03 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Yes! I loved those books as a kid! I still have them and read them about once a year. They rock. :) I haven't read them to my kids yet, but we have read other chapter books together.
    GlowWorm889

Answer by GlowWorm889 at 11:47 PM on May. 29, 2011

• My DD loved those books right along with American Girls books in the 2nd and 3rd grades. She also adored the Wizard of Oz books.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:33 AM on May. 30, 2011

• I would say yes!! they are a classic in my book selection!
    pass them on to her she will love them and it s something you can share together
    jlfield

Answer by jlfield at 1:42 AM on May. 30, 2011

• Mine does. She is seven. Also, this is her second year at an ungraded school (mixed ages, and all the kids in the "elementary group" are together at the end of the day for story time & the teacher reads aloud) and the elementary group has read one book from the series each year, so far. (I know they also read Farmer Boy the year before, because it was in the curriculum report when we were looking @ the school.) Last year they read The Long Winter & this year they read On the Banks of Plum Creek. The kids there dig the books.
    We started reading them aloud to her at home before she started school. I remember we started Big Woods when I was pregnant w/ her twin brothers, so she was 3 1/2. She was definitely ready to hang with a long book & she memorized portions. (Her little bros are 2.5 & they listen at this age.) I think there's a great chance your daughter will love them, particularly if you introduce them by reading together.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 7:24 AM on May. 30, 2011