how do I know if my daughter has hip displasia???

My dd is 5. She walks with a slight limp, and her right foot turns in when she walks... she was a late walker- almost 22 months before she walked on her own...
She goes for walks all the time, and I have taken her to a specialist for kids and hips, and they said it was something she will out grow??? I don't know how to tell if she does have it and what I should do??? help!!! and good web sites with simptions I can follow???

mommyofrubylena

Asked by mommyofrubylena at 8:10 AM on Dec. 9, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would suggest taking her to a pediatric podiatrist.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:16 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• What causes hip dysplasia?
    The exact cause of hip dysplasia is not easy to pin down, as there are thought to be several factors that contribute to developing this condition. Hip dysplasia occurs in about 0.4% of all births, and is most common in first born girls. Some known risk factors for a child to have hip dysplasia include:

Children with a family history of hip dysplasia
    Babies born in breech position
    Babies born with other "packaging problems"*
    Oligohydraminos (lack of intrauterine fluid)
    *Packaging problems are conditions that result in part from the in-utero position of the baby; for example, clubfoot and torticollis.
    kim168

Answer by kim168 at 8:22 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• When she is laying on her back is one leg longer than the other? You can have it diagnosed through ultrasound and xray.
    pinkink

Answer by pinkink at 8:45 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• no... both legs are the same length, but her right leg turns in when she is sitting on the exam table...
    mommyofrubylena

Answer by mommyofrubylena at 9:01 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Have her seen by a Pediatric Orthopedist. If there is a Shriner's Hospital in your region, she can be evaluated there for free - but there is an application process.

Did you have hip problems as a child? Any other kids with hip issues? There is a family history component. Was she breech?

http://www.shrinershq.org/Hospitals/Main/
    http://www.drhull.com/EncyMaster/H/hip_dysplasia.html
    jlc66

Answer by jlc66 at 1:06 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• My husband wore braces on his legs with he was a very young because both of his legs were turned in, toward each other. I don't know much about it other than he wore them for a while and it corrected itself due to wearing the braces. The braces had a shoe attached to each brace and spanned the the length of his lower legs, up to his knees.
    pinkink

Answer by pinkink at 3:31 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• my son is 19 months and he has hip displasia when he was born they found a click in his hip but it went away but he is not walking and one leg is longer then the other so he is going for opperation and he will be in a body cast for 6 weeks
    jjbitt2003

Answer by jjbitt2003 at 9:46 PM on Aug. 29, 2009