About epidurals.

I was wondering, who thought of using epidurals for pain medication during vaginal childbirth? I completely understand using it for c-sections and for other surgeries but I don't understand the point of using it for vaginal childbirth since it really is not needed, it's just for pain relief for something us women are built to do, even though I'm sure that some situations really do call for it. I mean no disrespect for those who chose the epidural, this is just my point of view and I was wondering how others felt about it because most women I've met have had epidurals and not given natural childbirth a chance.

GomezMami2908

Asked by GomezMami2908 at 10:51 PM on May. 29, 2011 in Pregnancy

• maybe because some women can't handle the pain...now stop gloating to those who can't and making them feel bad.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:54 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Some women have more pain than others, that's why they get it. Plus I don't live in the 1700's, I don't need to suffer.
    mrsziemann

Answer by mrsziemann at 10:56 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I was in labor for over 24 hours before I got my epi. I was exhausted from having no sleep the night before I had been awake for 2 days basically. I will not be ashamed of my epi.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:57 PM on May. 29, 2011

• So sorry we are not all as perfect as you are. I was induced due to preeclampsia, and taking FOREVER to dilate. If not for the epi which helped me along, I might have had to have a c-section. Not all women want a natural birth. I was going to have an epi even if I wasn't induced... I see no reason in this day and age to be a martyr!! It's a personal choice, and no one else's business but the Mom & the docs!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:02 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I have had one 3 times and aside from the pain relief it does/can provide mine proved to help progress my dilation. It just helps some women progress better when they can relax- i dont know the reasons why but it works you can ask many many doctors that will vouch for the same and I agree from personal experience.
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 11:11 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I had natural child birth with my first.. No big deal, labor was fast and easy. Still painful but not unreal. With my second OMG.. I was induced and that was 10 times worse than natural labor. The contractions were so hard and coming so fast I couldn't keep up.. Yep, I was screaming for an epi and I have a very high pain tolerance.. After the epi I was like WOW, this is great.. I was able to "enjoy" the delivery. No ring of fire, pressure, nothing. So with our third child we had an epi with that one from the start.. It was nice to enjoy the moments without unbearable pain (of course it only worked on one side).. Just because our bodies are designed to do it doesn't make it any less painful. I also don't have anything to prove.. Yes, I had one natural but why suffer for hours. I am still a mother all the same.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:13 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I didn't want one. Had a vag birth. But I was induced and at hour 29 and going on a 1.5 hour long solid contraction, I couldn't catch my breath and was starting to panic.

The contractions were so close together from the pitocin that I couldn't get a break to calm down.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:53 PM on May. 29, 2011

• When a mother is managing her pain like a champ and progress is normal, the risks of an epidural outweigh the benefits. If, however, she is exhausted, in extreme pain or requires painful interventions, the benefits may outweigh the risks. As she may not be able to deliever the baby within the time frame needed because she has been pushing or in active labor for hours. In the past 50yrs more then 40% of women have chose and epidural.

this may benefit some women with pregnancy induced hypertension as it will/may lower there BP to a safe spot.

Epidurals are also useful for cesarean births, making it possible for the mother to remain alert and involved while free from pain.
    which u seemed to know lol
    msmamakatie

Answer by msmamakatie at 10:56 PM on May. 29, 2011

• i wanted a natural birth but i caved at 7cm when the nurses kept coming in every 10min asking if i wanted one and i caved! but next time will b a home birth so im good to go!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 10:56 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I actually want to know, I'm not gloating or want to make anyone feel ashamed. I tried to word my question very carefully so no one would feel disrespected.
    GomezMami2908

Comment by GomezMami2908 (original poster) at 11:01 PM on May. 29, 2011