How do i remove a splinter?

My son just showed me at bedtime, of course. It's in the bottom of his big toe. There's not an edge sticking out to grasp it. Is there an easy way to get it out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 PM on May. 29, 2011 in Health

• I've used a safety pin to push it up so that it's peeking out then used tweezers to actually pull it up. Sometimes you can just use the side of the pin to push it up, but sometimes you actually have to poke at it which they never enjoy.
    miss_lisa

Answer by miss_lisa at 11:01 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Oh, and I sterilize the safety pin before using it.
    miss_lisa

• You can try to use your nail on either side of the splinter to push it up through the skin then grab the edge with tweezers. If that doesn't work sanitize a safety pin and make a scratch in the skin at the end of the splinter then get the tweezers. Hope that helps!
    chelcie_1

Answer by chelcie_1 at 11:02 PM on May. 29, 2011

• soak a bit of bread in some milk and put it over the splinter with a band-aid. In the morning the splinter will be in the bit of bread. This works because the milk softens the area around the splinter making it stick out a bit, then as the milk drys the bread hardens and pulls out the splinter with it.
    Trust me it never fails.
    Amelora

Answer by Amelora at 11:07 PM on May. 29, 2011

• A piece of raw potato and a band-aid works too.
    kaedrasgma

Answer by kaedrasgma at 11:12 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Milk and bread huh? Never heard that one before. He's asleep but I'll give it a try tomorrow. I'm guessing the potato does the same type thing? Interesting.
    Thanks ladies!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:20 PM on May. 29, 2011