Can I spray enzyme cleaner (urine gone..etc) on a mattress?

My 6 year old's mattress reeks! We are still having night accidents (yes we have covered with waterproof cover- didnt work) anyhow since she's not done with accidents I'm not going to buy a new mattress yet. Can I just get a urine enzyme cleaner and spray it all over the mattress outside on a sunny day and let it dry? Or does it have to be rinsed back out? When I get rid of the urine smell I plan on covering it with a super thick black plastic since those stupid waterproof covers have proved they dont work. (Its a twin size mattress and blue in color- so i think bleach would ruin it ) Any thoughts? And what is the best enzyme cleaner? Natures Miracle, Urine Gone or what?- I have never used one before.? Thanks for all your help! Any other suggestions that would work would be welcomed also :) (and note: there is a TON of pee and it has soaked in under the cover a bunch of times!!!!!!!!!!- so not a surface clean project)

hotrodmomma

Asked by hotrodmomma at 11:06 PM on May. 29, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would spray the mattress and leave it out in the sun
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 1:22 AM on May. 30, 2011

• BTW.. I used to work in a group home where we would spray the mattress's with the enzime stuff and leave it out in the son so I do know this works for a short time...but do get a plastic cover after you do this
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 1:24 AM on May. 30, 2011

• You can spray it with vinegar and sun bake it. The sunshine is the most important part. We had a rubber type mat that went under the sheet but that doesn't work so good either. In the future, strip the bed in the morning and open all her windows, closing the registers and shutting the door so fresh air gets to the bed.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 6:04 AM on May. 30, 2011

• Sounds like a good plan. I usually pour a lot of baking soda on it when it is still wet and leave it on all day, then vacuum it up after many hours. The powder soaks up the pee and the sodium bicarbonate neutralizes the odor.
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 7:28 AM on May. 30, 2011

• I'm a big believer in Nature's Miracle. I put this in a spray bottle and the moment I find an accident (our 6 1/2 yr old still has accidents a few times a week), I spray whatever area may have been peed on outside the waterproof padding. I saturate the area and allow it to air dry. I also try to prevent accidents as much as possible by taking him to the potty around 12am every night, and he wears waterproof pants like those found at One Step Ahead (dry nights). Good luck.
    klickitykat

Answer by klickitykat at 11:04 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Its worth a try. If it gets the smell out, you can also febreeze it.
    dixiegurl223626

Answer by dixiegurl223626 at 4:26 PM on May. 31, 2011

• no rinsing.... just literally soak the mattress and let it air dry as much as you can.
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 4:55 PM on May. 31, 2011

• probably.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:02 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I would think you can. you can also put bed pads under the sheets to help save your matress. You can usually get them at the drug store. They also have washable ones.
    daerca574

Answer by daerca574 at 9:33 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I had a plastic type protector cover that you can get at target. It unfortunately seems to let the urine seep through (it is wiped off every morning with Lysol wipes but it still got through). In addition these ones tear very easily. So we are planning on trying that thick black plastic (like you would use for a mini pond liner).
    hotrodmomma

Comment by hotrodmomma (original poster) at 4:09 PM on Jun. 8, 2011