Do you let your kids drink tea?

My son is a tot and I let him drink tea. We only buy organic non caffeine tea so I am not so worried about what might be added, because nothing un natural is added. I add a little honey typically, so does my SO, and when it gets cool enough we allow him to have a few sips. He loves it.

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 11:07 PM on May. 29, 2011 in Food & Drink

• From the south, so of course. I would rather they drink tea than pepsi or mt. dew..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:17 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Well if your completely "crunchy" no child doesnt need tea. My son drink tea....Fresh juice yes i squueze it. and sprite......Dont care what neone says each parent has there own opinion so please dont bash me....ANd honey tea is an amaaazzing treat!!! Love it!!!!
    msmamakatie

Answer by msmamakatie at 11:13 PM on May. 29, 2011

• yep and like you we are decaf with it and no sugar
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:08 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I let my kids have tea in lieu of soda. I don't want to make eating and drinking a chore or unenjoyable by posing too many limitations. They get their vitamins and the nutrition they need so I'm not going to kill myself forcing them to eat and drink in a way that no one else they're around is doing. We're not unhealthy, just relaxed.
    momofour09

Answer by momofour09 at 12:33 AM on May. 30, 2011

• No, there aren't any nutrients in tea. Kids don't need it.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:10 PM on May. 29, 2011

• we allow her to try lots of food/drink in moderation, like a sip of my starbucks every now and then or some of daddy's black coffee. i think allowing kids to try it in moderation is perfectly acceptable, as long as it's not dangerous and they are getting what they need nutrient wise.
    brookemhowell

Answer by brookemhowell at 11:13 PM on May. 29, 2011

• oh, I don't let him have anything with artificial sugars. No reason to at this point, but tea, I think, is a geat natural alternative, to drinking plain water, and if it's me and my SO's morning routine, why not join the LO in on it.

I let him have sparkling water added into his juice, we could call that soda, at least thats what he is going to believe.
    DomoniqueWS

Comment by DomoniqueWS (original poster) at 11:19 PM on May. 29, 2011

• My kids have enjoyed herbal teas like mint from an early age. Now that they are older, well at least the 11 & 13 yr olds, we allow some caffeine in the form of green tea. DD loves pomegranite green or happy tummy from the company where dh works.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:27 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Yes, my daughters drink tea . They have tried coffee too but don't like it much . I grew up on tea . We do not drink sodas .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 11:37 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I've given my 4 year old organic toddler "sleepy owl" tea as an alternative to meds. He is very hyperactive, & the doc wanted to put him on meds for it, and he only slept for about 4 hours a night. I didn't flavor it with honey, or sugar. Basically, we tried it together as a nightly routine to help him sleep. It didn't really work. But, he liked sitting up with me 15 mins later than his younger brother. He hated the taste, but he insisted he loved it. I think he just liked acting like an adult. I've tried to relax, but it is hard. Just keep it in moderation.
    BurritoDarling

Answer by BurritoDarling at 12:21 AM on May. 30, 2011