Do you believe hospitals are at fault for first-time-mothers ending up formula feeding instead of BF?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 PM on May. 29, 2011 in Pregnancy

• No, I blame the formula companies themselves. When hospitals/drs are given diaper bags to give to new moms, and the BF mom gets a ton more formula than the FF mom, something is obviously wrong.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:15 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Are you f'en kidding me?? It's a personal choice, the hospital doesn't make you do anything.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:13 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Absolutely not, if the mother doesn't want the baby bottle fed then she needs to open her mouth and say so. She should make sure that everyone is aware of that decision before she has the baby. Also, the hospitals around here push breast feeding so I don't see how they could be at any fault.

sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 11:16 PM on May. 29, 2011

• It's a personal choice. And actually in both the hospitals I had my children at they pushed for breastfeeding and didn't offer formula at all until I asked for it since I give no milk unfortunately. Hospitals are not at fault at all in my book.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 11:24 PM on May. 29, 2011

• UMM no, it's the parents choice.. Misinformed, uneducated, unsure, lack of support etc plays a larger role..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:15 PM on May. 29, 2011

• While it is a personal choice hospitals do tend to push formula over breast feeding. Even when you have made it clear you are EBF.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:21 PM on May. 29, 2011

• No, not at all!!! The hospital I was in promoted breast feeding constantly! :)
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 11:23 PM on May. 29, 2011

• These days many many many hospitals are pro BF. They have lactation coaches on 2 shifts usually and new moms will see them 2 or more times. Many have even gone so far as to not only not offer formula, but they only give it when asked for by the family. Hospitals are offering BFing classes as well. Thing have sure changed since I had my teenagers.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 11:26 PM on May. 29, 2011

• when I had my 1st baby I was 17 and the nurses ignored me...they never asked what I wanted and the dr didn't either. I did not get the attention I should have but since it was my first and I was so young I had no clue until i had my 2nd and then realized How a hospital should be. I finally had a nurse that would sit down with me and spend time going over options and we would talk like I was her only concern in the entire hospital...no wonder that first hospital closed 2 years after I had baby no.1 and the hospital I had the next baby was voted in the top 100 in the country.
    Anonymous

• There is no fault to be had on either party. Its a personal choice.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:01 AM on May. 30, 2011