Managing Carpal Tunnel

What do you do to make it less painful?

Kelly0213

Asked by Kelly0213 at 11:14 PM on May. 29, 2011 in Health

• you def need to buy the braces when i was pregnant with my last child it kept me up at night so i used ice to soothe both my wrists
    momofalltrades

Answer by momofalltrades at 11:22 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Braces work ok.....but they caused me more pain!!!!!! Doctor says I can go to orthopedics and get cortazone shots for about 3weeks each month.
    I use Biofreeze chiropractor
    birch oil will help as well!!!
    msmamakatie

Answer by msmamakatie at 11:31 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I go to the doctor on Tuesday to discuss options for my carpal tunnel. I am so ready to be done with the numbness and the pain. I will gladly do the surgery if he suggests it this time. Eventually, the braces no longer help. I think CT always gets to the point of surgery. Not sure.
    mamateresa7

Answer by mamateresa7 at 11:54 PM on May. 29, 2011

• My stylist said she had a customer who 'got through it' with the proper exercise.. Somehow I find this hard to believe.
    Kelly0213

Comment by Kelly0213 (original poster) at 11:58 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Carpal tunnel is a tightening of a band around certain structures in your wrist. A yoga instructor explained a certain exercise ( stretching) that relieves the tight band and thus relieving the pain. Physicians are only taught medications and/or surgery for treatments. They are not taught anything about prevention.
    I will try to explain the stretch. Place affected hand with fingers outstretched on a table. Make sure your shoulders are directly in line and over your hand. Now take your other hand and "pull" the fingers up while keeping the wrist on the table. Make sure you get a really good stretch and hold it. It hurts when you start but you should notice an improvement over time. I know of several people who have succeeded in "curing" their carpal tunnel problems this way.
    Rota

Answer by Rota at 7:59 AM on May. 30, 2011

• CTS is caused by pressure on the median nerve & tendons in the carpal tunnel, at the wrist. It is often the result of a combination of factors. Most likely the disorder is due to a congenital predisposition - the CT is simply smaller in some people than in others. Other contributing factors include an injury to the wrist that causes swelling; over-activity of the pituitary gland; hypothyroidism; rheumatoid arthritis; mechanical problems in the wrist joint; work stress; repeated use of vibrating hand tools; fluid retention during pregnancy or menopause; or the development of a cyst, tumor or mineral deposit in the canal. In some cases no cause can be identified.
    STRETCHING SHOULD NEVER BE PAINFUL and may not fix the problem. You need to find the cause first... An ortho can help Dx, you can start with PT & a rigid brace, cortisone injection, then surgery if all else fails.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:23 AM on May. 30, 2011

• I had surgery. It was not painful and I got over it in less than 6 weeks. Minimally invasive procedure as well. I used braces before but nothing helped. Now I have been pain free for over 10 yrs.
    DDWay

Answer by DDWay at 12:52 AM on May. 31, 2011