UNBELIEVABLE

My dad passed a few days ago, and family, friends, neighbors was kind enough to bring food to my mom's house. The sad thing is, my mom, sister and her kids took all the food downstairs and placed it in the fridge. Her other grandkids were standing there literally starving. Was I wrong to storm out and take my kids home so they can eat? I mean when people bring food, isn't it for the entire family to eat?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:28 PM on May. 29, 2011 in Relationships

• If they were hungry, did you say something? Maybe they didn't know and just wanted to put it away. They are also grieving, so I'm sure they were not thinking about if your kids were hungry or not. If you didn't ask, then I think it was childish if you to storm out like that. People are not mind readers.....

sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 11:33 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Yeah, its rude. All I can say is maybe they weren't thinking?
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 11:35 PM on May. 29, 2011

• As I was leaving, I noticed they were proceeding downstairs to get the food. I just left and went home.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:36 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I'd have gone downstairs and gotten what my kids wanted.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:44 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Oh now that is no good.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:04 AM on May. 30, 2011

• sounds like maybe you should have spoken up.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 12:36 AM on May. 30, 2011

• Yes, it is usually for the whole family to eat. If they proceeded downstairs to get the food after you left, then it sounds selfish on their part.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:39 AM on May. 30, 2011

• When my brother died & people were bringing food to my Mother's house My kids and I were there. I am a stress eater so I was getting a plate of food for myself and my kids and someone actually took my plates and told me that the food wasn't for me, it was for my parents. I left too. I mean, the ENTIRE dining room table was covered in food and everyone else was eating. ok, now I'm whining...
    Just wanted to say that I can relate and no, I don't think you were wrong to leave and take care of your children.
    shareleann

Answer by shareleann at 2:25 AM on May. 30, 2011

• I think you should have said something BUT yes, i think the food is for EVERYONE. and ANY family members. If you had said something and they still took it away THEN i would have stormed out so fast their heads would have spun but since you didnt say anything then it might have been a bit far but EITHER way it was kind of selfish for them to take it all >.>
    shortycmlb

Answer by shortycmlb at 6:09 AM on May. 30, 2011

• This is hard. It gets hard in times like this. Not being there makes it hard to make a judgment call. It doesn't sound like they were being rude, just not really thinking. If they were kinda acting like robots, and were putting the food away, and hadn't eaten themselves, then I'd say they weren't being rude. Just trying to keep busy. But, if they ate, and were talking but leaving you out...(like not asking if you and your kids ate)...then I'd say they were rude. I remember when my Grandma died. Her jewelry box was brought out. You know, at her house after the funeral, the day after or so when we were still all up there. Everyone was fighting over who got what! We were all supposed to get something of hers. But they were all arguing over who got what. I absolutely hated it. Something ugly like that always happens with my family. I was little then, sparks will fly now that I'm older.
    Talk with your mom and sister. Hugs.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 9:31 AM on May. 30, 2011