How much harder are having twins than having just one?

I am thinking about having a second child, but twins run in my family (my father was a twin and now a bunch of my cousins have had twins) and I am kinda terrified of having twins because everyone says it is so much harder.
Can someone give me some idea of what I am in for if I do have twins so I can make an educated choice.

Amelora

Asked by Amelora at 12:39 AM on May. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• ill be honest with you, I don't know what its like to have one baby because my first pregnancy was twins! theyre 20 months now and im glad i had twins! you gotta have a lot of help but its the biggest blessing ever. its SO much fun!!! dont be terrified! God won't give you a challenge you can't handle. I'm serious though, its hard! BUT having kids period is hard! the good stuff out weighs the bad stuff! I WANT more twins haha :P (way later in life XD) id just say make sure you have the money, and have at least one friend or family member on board to jump in and help from time to time. (i've been single this whole time and i coudlnt' have gotten through without my moms help) but dont be scared, having twins is A TON of fun :D
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 12:43 AM on May. 30, 2011

• i just realize di didnt really answer your question. but as i said before i dont know what its like to have ONE baby. although i did watch my nephew. its hard in that, youre dealing with one baby and you finally get it settled and youre like AH RELIEF and the other will start crying and you gotta do it again. or youre like ok phew i got him dressed and changed and then UGH you gotta do it a second time!!! XD so it is more work. and now mine are toddlers so its like omg tyler get off the table! and i turn to get tyler and then taden is across the room standing on the couch playing with the lamp! XD UGH its frustrating i'll tell ya. BUT theyre so cute, they've played together sinc they were like 9 months. at first they would crawl under one of their exersaucers and laugh at each other hysterically. now they chase each other and play peeka boo.
    so thats how its different than having one... but its still so fun c:
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 12:47 AM on May. 30, 2011

• There's a lot of variables to consider - it is harder financially and possibly more emotionally and physically draining depending on your twins. My sister and I are fraternal twins, we were 9 weeks preemie and pretty sick at birth and yet my parents said they loved having twins because as soon as we were both home for good things mellowed out and we were both very calm babies. I have identical twins - I love having twins. I didn't find it any harder than having my two older children, my twin boys weren't fussy even as newborns and my daughters loved helping out with their baby brothers. My DH also has a fraternal twin brother and his mom likes to say they drove her insane up until they started school. She also had several other sons before her twins and apparently DH and his twin were fussy and were always fighting from about 6 months old up until they were 8 years old.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 1:46 AM on May. 30, 2011

• I have identical twin girls. Before I answer the original question, having identical twins is not caused by family tendancies, age or any other factor, they are just a special blessing. Fraternals on the other hand do run in families, but it is through the mother's side not the fathers. Also the older you are, especially over 35 the more likely you are to have fraternal twins.

Now as to difficulty, if your twins are not born early and therefor have more problems, it will be difficult for the infant and toddler years, but once they are preschool it starts to be easier, by elementary it isn't much more difficult than having one. If they are born early then the difficulty is multiplied and lasts longer.
    quinnmommy

Answer by quinnmommy at 3:45 AM on May. 30, 2011

• It is harder up front. The pregnancy is harder. I had an uncomplicated pregnancy that went to term, but eating an adequate/optimal amount of protein was a daily project & carrying all the weight out front was a physical challenge by the end. (My guys were 7 & 8 pounds at birth.) Having two newborns is intense & challenging even if things are "good" or "normal." It is a lot of nurturing & caring responsiveness, a lot of the time! The challenges are different once they are mobile, but for me it never has been quite as intense or overwhelming (at least not overall, or constantly) as the newborn phase.
    I think the way you parent makes a big difference; some parents of twins do go CRAZY with toddler struggles. My approach takes more effort up front in terms of handling behavior issues, but it results in lots of cooperation and I feel generally joyful rather than frustrated or drained. (I get wiped out, but not really bummed out.)
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 8:30 AM on May. 30, 2011

• I don't have twins but I would imagine that it is harder! But I also believe that God does not give u what he thinks u couldn't handle! And how cool that they will have a friend always, and grow up with someone to play with!
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 9:46 AM on May. 30, 2011