Is it okay to go to a nail salon while I am pregnant?

Today 5/29/11- I wanted to get my fingernails done so I went to my regular nail salon, asked for a mask, sat down for like 15 - 20 mins but then decided to leave feeling uneasy being there because I thought I was harming my 30 week old fetus. I have a OB appointment this Tuesday and I was going to ask her if it was okay to get my nails done but I wanted to ask if anyone got their nails done while pregnant?

Kaitlin123

Asked by Kaitlin123 at 12:42 AM on May. 30, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I got my nails done. It's just the fumes & powders that you could inhale that may be bad - you should be fine as long as you wear a mask.
    shareleann

Answer by shareleann at 12:45 AM on May. 30, 2011

• Better safe than sorry. Do you really need it or can you live without it? What should scare anyone is picking up flesh-eating viruses from nail salons that don't keep their equipment clean.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 12:47 AM on May. 30, 2011

• i have get my done you should be fine
    em199417

Answer by em199417 at 12:48 AM on May. 30, 2011

• Thank you guys so much for the advice I really needed it. I didn't want to seem like I was doing something wrong and putting my child at risk!
    Kaitlin123

Comment by Kaitlin123 (original poster) at 12:53 AM on May. 30, 2011

• @hellokittykat flesh-eating diseases?
    Kaitlin123

• When I was still working at the spa we did pregnant ladies nails all time, everything was fine. We had masks for them to wear if they wanted. And no one EVER got flesh eating diseases thank you very much. That would require people to come in with it all ready, no one notice, have someone work on them, then not even rinse their tools under hot water. We sterilized everything many times over and everything we used went into the autoclave.
    Amelora

Answer by Amelora at 1:05 AM on May. 30, 2011

• Safest to avoid!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:53 AM on May. 30, 2011

• Yes, I saw several shows on TV where women got flesh eating diseases from pedicures and other salon procedures because they did not sanitize their equipment properly and the germs multiplied and grew within their bubblejet foot tubs. One girl on the Tyra Banks show paid $20 for a pedicure and almost had to amputate half her leg after she got the flesh eating virus. I stopped getting pedicures after I saw the show. They say that if you do get them, bring your own foot tub or nail equipment or insist that it's disinfected in front of you.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 4:09 AM on May. 30, 2011

• i get my toes done, but i go when there is like no one there yet
    Jssg1986

Answer by Jssg1986 at 3:50 PM on May. 30, 2011