Discipling your children

What type of discipline do you use with your children.

Should you discipline all the children the same, even though they are a different age?

OctMommyof3

Asked by OctMommyof3 at 12:56 AM on May. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• I dunk their heads in the toilet and flush lol. Sorry I'm sleepy but can't fall asleep :(
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 12:58 AM on May. 30, 2011

• What he does depends on what kind of discipline he recieves. I spank, give time outs, and take toys away depending on what he's doing.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 12:59 AM on May. 30, 2011

• I don't discipline my children all the same way. Raegan is 7, Kynlee is 5 and Noah and Levi are 3. I have higher expectations in Raegan, so she does get disciplined the hardest. I try not to spank, but I get down on their level (which is really hard with a 38 weeks preggo belly LOL) and explain to them what they did wrong and what their punishment is going to be.
    ValMommy17

Answer by ValMommy17 at 1:07 AM on May. 30, 2011

• Discipline varies on age, offense, and child. These weren't originally the 'rules' but in the recent past it came to be known that it was more effective and built a stronger relationship to give effective punishments for undesirable behavior.
    Plus I won't lie, I'm scared of misbehaviors in public because NO ONE UNDERSTANDS THE WHOLE SITUATION and that misinformation is why parents lose kids to CPS.
    We spank, take away, time out for mom/dad, and give work.
    JKQMom

Answer by JKQMom at 1:09 AM on May. 30, 2011

• I am all for time outs.....then explaining to him what he did wrong. I tried the whole spanking thing but he learned hoe to slap me back and that was just a big no no and then I realized I was the one who taught him.
    jlfield

Answer by jlfield at 1:09 AM on May. 30, 2011

• I do time outs and if its something dangerous that they could have gotten hurt doing like electrical outlet ect. then a small spank and timeout. I do a minute per age and if they get up the time starts over. Super nanny style
    hisbabymama18

Answer by hisbabymama18 at 1:12 AM on May. 30, 2011

• I primarily discipline the younger ones with time outs and removal of priveledges. I discipline the older one with removal of priveledges and natural consequences. With all of them there is appropriate explanation of what is expected and why.

I do not have the same expectations for my oldest as I do with my younger twins. My oldest is 16 and very intellegent, often she learns the lesson on her own or just from talking about it. My twins are 13 but they have special needs so discipline is a bit trickier for them. First I have to figure out if they even understand what they did and why it is wrong. If they can't then I move to prevention, finding a way to stop the behavior by not putting them into situations they can't handle. If it is a situation where they know what they did time out works wonderfully for them. They hate being isolated.

So for each child the method will vary as will certain rules.
    quinnmommy

Answer by quinnmommy at 3:39 AM on May. 30, 2011

• i think it depends on the age of you kids i do not disapline by hitting i will send my 9 yr old to his room or take things away from him and that seems to work younger i would do time out .
    mom3902

Answer by mom3902 at 10:43 AM on May. 30, 2011

• Discipline means to teach and you should teach your children the same lessons. How you do that depends on the child, their age and ability to understand. I try to be fair and constant with mine but if needs a different approach to the other then so be it,

MadreMas

Answer by MadreMas at 7:02 PM on May. 30, 2011

• my baby is only 6mo old so we haven't had to discipline yet obviously but I was a nanny before and timeouts always worked for me
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 11:09 PM on May. 30, 2011