How does one rise up from a bad family background?

my dad's side is not a good family....yet me and my sister are good people with good husbands. we are good law abiding people...how can we move on from having a bad family background from a small town that does not forget??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on May. 30, 2011 in Relationships

• Small towns are like small churches. Everyone knows just about every sin you committed, so to speak. People don't forget but if you live a good life, they do take notice and remember that.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 1:19 AM on May. 30, 2011

• Well u r u and u should remind those nossy people. God forgives and forgets. Who is higher then God.
    Autiziumom

Answer by Autiziumom at 1:20 AM on May. 30, 2011

• Forget the past and move to the future!
    jlfield

Answer by jlfield at 1:21 AM on May. 30, 2011

• Go about your life and forget what others may say. You know who you truly are and if someone wants to label you because of your blood line that's their problem. 

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 1:24 AM on May. 30, 2011

• You can't change other people, so if you can afford to, move. Life is more than just one town and don't let a town ruin your life. I also say, work with what you can control. If you've got deep roots in that town, then continue to show by action and example that you are not your father's family. Be personable, outgoing, helpful, warm and inviting. But at the same time, don't put so much effort into proving something to people who really shouldn't even matter. Be however you want to be because *you* want to be that way, not for anyone else. I myself grew up in small town and once I moved to a new town, I wished I had done so a long time ago - not to run away from any problems but purely for the fact that it really opens up your perspective and opportunities. For that reason alone, you may want to consider an adventurous move.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 1:24 AM on May. 30, 2011

• You know what you are and what you have made for yourself and your family, sometimes small towns have an element of small minded people, you are not your father or his side and people should be open enough not to judge you on that, but this would be in a perfect world........hold your head high and do not let people like that steel your joy, be the better person.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 2:07 AM on May. 30, 2011

• I agree with PPs. Ignore them or move. I had to move to not be associated with my dad.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 5:25 AM on May. 30, 2011

• Hold your heads high and go about your business. Eventually the town gossips will move on to someone else.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:31 AM on May. 30, 2011