Not being able to drive do to a medical condition

I was just wondering if there is anyone else out there that is not able to drive.

I am not able to drive right now because of a medical condition. I hate makeing my husband drive me everywhere and asking my mom for help. I feel like a burden... Not only that but I can never just jump into the car and run to the store by myself..

OctMommyof3

Asked by OctMommyof3 at 1:17 AM on May. 30, 2011 in Health

• I am in the same situation. I will be able to get my licence back next year but, until then...it stinks. I have learned to use the bus and pool all my trips together so it is easier to ask my husband to give me one day a week that he has to drive. But it still is a pain.
    quinnmommy

Answer by quinnmommy at 3:49 AM on May. 30, 2011

• My FIL is in that situation. He has a seizure disorder, and if you have had a seizure in the last year, you can't have a driver's license. He was a total type A guy, always in charge, until his accident, and now, he can't even be alone, because of the seizures and other issues. I know it really gets to him, and he does talk about being a burden. He's a great guy, and a wonderful grandfather, but I know he hates not being able to just GO somewhere. I can imagine the loss of independence. I actually went 4 years without a car for financial reasons, and I hated it, but I did get used to it. Depending on the medical condition, can you ride a bike places? At least now the summer is coming, so the weather is good for getting around without a car. I hope this is temporary for you! Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:12 AM on May. 30, 2011

• musicpisces - I have Epilespy, however in my state they just changeg the law so that you only have to be seizure free for 6 months instead of a year. If you have a breakthrough seizure because of miss medication, than you are still ok to drive. That is the situation I am in, but still scared to drive for not only my safety, but my kids safety as well. Also, there isn't much close to bike to, I can walk to Target, since it is in my backyard, but thats about it.
    OctMommyof3

Comment by OctMommyof3 (original poster) at 9:55 AM on May. 30, 2011