What happens if my step daughter wants to call me mom

mystery104

Asked by mystery104 at 1:39 AM on May. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• How old is she?
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 1:45 AM on May. 30, 2011

• go with it!! If it was her choice that is
    jlfield

Answer by jlfield at 1:49 AM on May. 30, 2011

• If shes too little I'd tell her to call you by your name. If shes old enough to know and still wants to, fine.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 1:51 AM on May. 30, 2011

• I'm sure it's flattering and sweet she wants to call you mom, but obviously it might cause a problem with bio-mom. Maybe explain to her she has a mom who loves her very much and it may be better if she called you "_________". And then thank her for wanting to call you mom and that means alot to you. I remember asking my step-mom that when I was little and thats what she told me. I understood and it was fine.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 1:54 AM on May. 30, 2011

• It depends on the age. If she is 2 or less I think its confusing and disrespectful.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 1:54 AM on May. 30, 2011

• I had a step Dad that I wanted to call Dad and he told us to call him by his first name then dad. Example Daddy Tom. My bio Dad didn't have an issue with that.
    sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 2:22 AM on May. 30, 2011

• depends on how you and your husband feel about it
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:41 AM on May. 30, 2011

• depends on a few things
    i'm a custodal step mum i raise my step kids 24/7 they both call me mum . there bio mother has niver been a mother to them .
    i find its easer for them at school and stuff as kid will be kids and say there your mum
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:41 AM on May. 30, 2011

• I think that's awesome! My stepson calls me mom and I love it! He is so sweet! I take this as a huge compliment, that he luvs, trusts, and respects me enough to call me mom! Mom is a pretty important word!
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 9:41 AM on May. 30, 2011

• it depends on the situation........if she lives with you and is of and age to understand the meaning and it her choice then go for it........but if she lives with bio mom and has a good relationship with bio mom i would discourage it......come up with something else ..........
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:42 AM on May. 30, 2011