What to do with the $$$

My Dad called me yesterday to tell me that he sold some of his gold (@ $1400/oz) and was going to send me some $$$. He said that he gave some to my brother and sister already & was going to send me some and keep the rest for when he goes to Seattle for Cancer treatment. He says he wants us to enjoy the money while he is still alive. :S
I didn't tell my husband yet because he will have his own ideas about how the money needs to be spent (on something for him most likely). We have quite a few bills right now and I am going to be unemployed in about 2 weeks for a few months. We are moving to another state in a couple months. We are also planning a trip to Alaska (home) for Thanksgiving.

So what do i do with the Money? Should I tell hubby about it?

#1 - put it all on bills & get stuff paid down before we move
#2 - put it all in our joint savings for the trips (moving and AK trip)
#3 - put it into my joint account with my Father to save for the AK trip (because I don't have access to the bank unless I am in person in AK)
#4 - Save it secretly until I need it for an emergency

shareleann

Asked by shareleann at 1:44 AM on May. 30, 2011 in Money & Work

• I hope all goes well with your dad, and that he beats his cancer!! It is nice of him to give everyone money. If it were me I would use some of the money toward bills / moving expenses and the rest I would put in my own savings account (that hubs can't touch) as a 'nest egg' -- especially if I am about to be unemployed and not sure what my financial/work situation would be in a few months. Better to have that bit set aside if I need it, than spend it all now and worry about finances later . As for hubs, I would tell him that my dad gave the money to ME as a gift to spend/use however I want! If hubs does not like that ... too bad! I would not allow hubs to use that gift on stuff for himself-- especially if there were bills that needed to be paid.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:38 PM on May. 30, 2011

• You know what needs to be paid. And if you are about to be unemployed save it.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 1:53 AM on May. 30, 2011

• So sorry to hear about your Dad. I hope he beats the cancer :( I would do what you feel is best for your family. If your the one who makes most of the financial decisions, then you should make sure your finances are under control. List your choices from most to least important and think about how each outcome could affect you. How you spend it will always be a memory because of why it was given to you. I wish you the best of luck in your decision and future plans.

Work for yourself....not by yourself. Learn how: http://www.internetceomoms.com/tools4mom
    tools4mom

Answer by tools4mom at 2:09 AM on May. 30, 2011

• #1 & #4
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 1:55 AM on May. 30, 2011

• 1
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:42 AM on May. 30, 2011

• It should be your choice, don't let your husband spend it on stuff for himself.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:23 AM on May. 30, 2011

• 1
    shortycmlb

Answer by shortycmlb at 5:04 AM on May. 30, 2011

• Well, I'd pay on some of the bills and anything that is a desperate NEED. Consider it a blessing to help with whatever you need help with and don't use it unwisely! If you think it's best to put it toward your trip, then that is what you should do. Really think about it and think about how you can get the most use and joy out of it- if it would be a huge relief and weight off your shoulders to pay down some bills, then that is the answer.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:37 AM on May. 30, 2011