Home remedies for carpet cleaning

My son has tinkled the carpet and after cleaning immediatly I still sense a smell. I have tried sprinkling baking soda and frebreeze on it but nada. I wanted to know of any other remedies before I get the carpet cleaned (rug doctor).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:36 AM on May. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• Spray with vinegar. Yes it sounds wrong, but, vinegar is a natural sanitizer and will "eat" the bacteria that causes the smell. Then cover with a powder ( carpet sprinkles, or baking soda, or sand) and step on it to draw out the moisture. Then vacuum.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 2:48 AM on May. 30, 2011

• have you looked up on the internet to see if borax might help?
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 2:50 AM on May. 30, 2011

• lol I was thinking og using vingar but didn't know. It's like a must have in a house cause it does so much lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:03 AM on May. 30, 2011

• I use a product called Nature's Miracle Stain and Odor Remover. It is particular wonderful for urine and other organic material that comes out of kids and pets (the three P's: pee, poop, puke). I bought my most recent bottle at the pet store because our new dog is not housebroken. It's probably available elsewhere since it isn't strictly a pet product.
    LoveHerDad

Answer by LoveHerDad at 3:33 AM on May. 30, 2011

• i tried windex it seems wierd but it worked for me . good luck
    mom3902

Answer by mom3902 at 10:36 AM on May. 30, 2011

• I use laundry soap in my carpet cleaner. Normally I also put a little fabric softener in it too. Not only does it take the smells out, but makes the who house smell good. It takes out most stains too. I thought all before I have some weird purple one that no one seems to know what it is and won't come out with anything.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 10:38 AM on May. 30, 2011