How can I get my kids to sleep in their own bed?

angelmom0302

Asked by angelmom0302 at 5:32 AM on May. 30, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• minimal information, there. If your kids are 5-8 they are big enough to understand that they don't need to sleep in your bed. Develop a bedtime routine, put them in their own beds, and if they try to get into yours, put them back in their own beds again. At 5-8 you should be able to tell them that they are big kids now and fully capable of sleeping on their own.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 5:36 AM on May. 30, 2011

• They are having nightmares alot lately!
    angelmom0302

Comment by angelmom0302 (original poster) at 5:39 AM on May. 30, 2011

• Sit on the floor next to their bed and hold their hand till they go to sleep. Be firm about them not leaving the bed. Don't raise your voice, you will just stir them up. If they join you later in the night, comfort them, place them back in their bed and hold their hand again.

Yes you will be exhausted for a little while. Yes it will be hard. Yes it will work. When the frustration gets to you, go away from them to vent,don't let them see they get to you.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 6:00 AM on May. 30, 2011

• Nightmares, in my experience, can happen when there are emotional troubles, illness, going to bed too late or not getting needed naps or having to use the toilet . . . So I try to address all of those issues with the child to help them solve the problem. Leaving a night light on in the room does wonders, or cracking the door and leaving the hall light on. There are some great homeopathic sleep aids for kids called calms forte and no more monsters that are very effective, too. DH or I usually lay with our 5 y.o. Until he falls asleep and that keeps him in bed. He used to visit us a lot, but I would get up and have him go pee, then put him back in bed without saying a word. I would only need to lay with him for a few minutes before he fell back asleep as long as we didn't talk much during the whole transaction.
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 7:02 AM on May. 30, 2011

• Depends on the age, but consistancy is key. If you want them to sleep in their own bed, whenever they get up just take them back and let them know that is where they have to sleep. Make it fun for them, get one of those night lights that cast stars on the ceiling and wall. Buy bedding with their favorite character on them, even let them pick out what they want. Good luck.
    Kelly502

Answer by Kelly502 at 8:08 AM on May. 30, 2011

• I'm also struggling with this, so I don't have any good answers, but lots of empathy! My kids don't have nightmares though. It seems better when we have a more consistent routine, and when DH is more involved (which he rarely is, partly because he stays home with them all day). Good luck.
    klickitykat

Answer by klickitykat at 11:00 PM on May. 30, 2011

• wow, I simply told mine that there was no longer enough room in our bed and that's why he has his own. I would go to him for nitemares. His instructions were to call for me but he was not to leave his bed, I would come to him. I also mixed water and fabreeze in a spray bottle and titled it "MONSTER SPRAY" Every nite we would spray it under his bed and in his closet to keep the monsters away. That helped quite a bit
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 4:54 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Just have a good routine and some comforting things for them
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:02 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Not sure. I have never had this problem. We do not let our kids sleep in our bed. On occassion the little one sneaks in early in the morning, but other than that, I am clueless.
    daerca574

Answer by daerca574 at 9:32 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Have a grood routine
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:55 PM on Jun. 9, 2011