OK You Momma's of Twins....

When the man has twins running in his family but it seems to only affect the women in his family, does that mean I am less likely to have twins? I don't want to confuse anyone but this is hard to explain. This is my second pregnancy and I have my first appointment this Wednesday but in the meantime his family keeps mentioning (again) how twins run in the family. I noticed it's only in the ladies though. Hubby's Grandmother and Aunt both miscarried twins and his cousin aborted twins. None of them have been born but they were confirmed. If it "runs in the family" like they say... does this pattern mean I have alot less likely of a chance? His whole family is aching for viable twins but I just kind of see a pattern. It also never "skipped a generation" like I heard it's "suppose to." I am going to look online for statistics but I was wondering if you guys knew anything about this. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:38 AM on May. 30, 2011 in Pregnancy

• First off, we just found out we're having fraternal twins. My MIL keeps saying it's because of her side of the family BUT I tend to agree with you. My birthfather was a fraternal twin. My having fraternal twins would mean my ovaries produced two eggs - which is hereditary (from my paternal grandmother & maybe on my mother's side too). I'm not sure about identicals but I think it does have more to do with how the MOTHER conceives and her own DNA. Sorry that this answer is so loaded! And good luck on your appointment!
    ardencie

Answer by ardencie at 10:56 AM on May. 30, 2011

• In our case it was completely my husband's side. He has uncles and cousins that are twins but I don't know all the specifics.
    lauralivivy

Answer by lauralivivy at 11:01 AM on May. 30, 2011

• I think u have to have it on both sides of the family, yours & his
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on May. 30, 2011

• I don't have ANY on my side that I know of.
    lauralivivy

Answer by lauralivivy at 2:11 PM on May. 30, 2011