is oatmeal any worse than cereal?

my baby is on cereal i am about to run out and someone gave me some oatmeal would it be alright to give her that or should i wait?

kb24

Asked by kb24 at 8:59 AM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it might make her gassy
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 9:07 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Well-cooked oatmeal should be about the same as baby cereal except no additives- extra vitamins or whatever the baby cereal has in it. Also, oatmeal is whole grain, which I can't imagine being a problem but I am not a nutritionist. and I don't know if baby cereal is whole grain. Also, baby cereal is probably strained. But you could strain the cooked oatmeal. Probably in the end, the thing to do is to call the doctor and ask.

Answer by Bmat at 9:44 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I give my daughter infant oatmeal from Gerber all the time. She loves it. Just be sure to give it to her exclusively for a week or so to make sure she isn't allergic to it, just like with any new food.
    angelofice

Answer by angelofice at 9:49 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• thats what I give my son. He has no problems with it at all. He prefers it over anything else too. So I dont see anything wrong with it. Plus its more filling to them. And its healthy too.
    russian-mommy

Answer by russian-mommy at 9:59 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• So long as she hasn't had a new food within the week or so, and it is baby oatmeal or has no additives, I would say try it for a week to see how she does with it.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:31 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• yea just be sure not to mix it up with anything so you can tell IF she does have some sorta reaction to it. it should be just fine though...my son got his hands on some from my daughter, and he was fine. though it was after we started introducing solids even.
    Shannon85

Answer by Shannon85 at 10:35 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• It looks like your daughter's pretty young to be on any cereal but if you've already given her rice cereal that's your choice. As far as the oatmeal cereal though I think she should be older for that. I don't know the reasons why but it's suggested that you wait until after they've been introduced to veggies, fruits, and meats before introducing other cereals like oatmeal and barley. In other words, they should be much older before introducing it. I make my own cereal and baby food and use wholesomebabyfood.com as a resource. You should check it out even if you buy your own food. It's a great resource and has what's age appropriate for each food.
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 12:15 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• How old is your baby? You shouldn't be giving your baby any solids (including cereal) until she is 6 months old. That is what the American Academy of Pediatrics, the World Health Organization, the US Department of Health and Human Services and UNICEF all say.

My son eats oatmeal all the time, but he is 11 months old. We never gave him cereal at all because basically it has no nutritional value except for all the iron that isn't bioavailable anyway. That means it isn't absorbed and will just constipate your baby.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 1:41 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Ok, I just looked at your profile and saw that your little one is only 2 months old. She should be getting NOTHING but breastmilk or formula. Please read this article:

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 1:43 PM on Dec. 9, 2008