Do you teach your child the reason for Memorial Day?

Or do you just use it as a day off to vacation or not have school?>

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 6:51 AM on May. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes we are from a military family my 18 year old is going to the marines so yes they were taught.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:19 AM on May. 30, 2011

• Absolutely. And, at 5, when they killed Bin Ladin, I told Wyatt who he was and why we were celebrating. He knew about the planes and NY/DC/PA when he was 3. I explain it to him in kid terms, but he knows. He also will go up to someone in military uniform and say "Thank you for protecting us". He started to do that when he was 3, and totally on his own.
    MedicMommy

Answer by MedicMommy at 6:54 AM on May. 30, 2011

• they're not old enough to get it yet but i will when they're older. i remember when i was little my parents used to take me to the "moving wall" for Veterans & fallen soldiers. my dad was in the Vietnam War so he was always extremely moved by that wall.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:21 AM on May. 30, 2011

• Nope but then again, we aren't American.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:31 AM on May. 30, 2011

• Well mine happen to be in school this year lol. But yes we do teach them about it because we come from a military family. Everyone from grandparents to cousins served or are serving.

Answer by gemgem at 7:37 AM on May. 30, 2011

• I don't think I have thought about it. I should, my grandfather was in the Korean war, my dad was in Vietnam, and both my older brothers served in some fashion. I just don't think about the meaning myself.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 8:08 AM on May. 30, 2011

• Yes. We have always taught them the meaning behind memorial day.
    elliecooper

Answer by elliecooper at 1:59 PM on May. 30, 2011

• We homeschool but we don't focus on Memorial Day, it's not ever been a high priority holiday to me.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:23 PM on May. 30, 2011