How much do you agree with this statement?

"It has been noticed that babies (6wks old - 12 wks old) who are exclusively breastfed tend to weight less than children who are exclusively fed with formula when looking at the growth charts."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:53 AM on May. 30, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Agree. It's common for babies to be overfed formula. Often parents don't understand that you can't bottle feed infants as much as they will suck down. Babies have a strong sucking need and artificially fed babies will often take in too much formula if it is not measured and controlled. That is one of the reasons formula fed babies are at a greater risk of obesity. We know now that obesity can start in infancy and that obesity can be a life-long problem.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:22 AM on May. 30, 2011

• This is actually true - BUT - I had a Doctor explain it to me - when most of the current height / weight charts were developed, they were done so for formula fed babies, because at that time, there were more formula fed babies than nursed babies, and that it was considered "better" (more politically correct and less likely to cause a panic) to say that the nursed babies were slightly "underweight" than to say that the formula fed babies were "overweight".

(Btw, this is NOT a bash on formula - personally, I don't care how a person feeds their baby as long as they love and care for him/her.)

Breast milk is more completely absorbed / used by a baby, with less left over to "store" as extra weight than formula. (It's also why nursed babies will often have less poopy diapers than formula babies.)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:22 AM on May. 30, 2011

• I would have to disagree. My friend's baby is a little chubbers (always in the 75-80th % for weight) and she was exclusively breast fed. My son was always right around the 50th% and was formula fed.
    In addition, my other son and my nieces were all formula fed and none of them ever were over the 50th % range for weight.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:08 AM on May. 30, 2011

• false
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:54 AM on May. 30, 2011

• oops i answered too soon - lol. false because that's just a generalization. some exclusively BF'd babies weigh less, some do not.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:57 AM on May. 30, 2011

• It would have been true of my baby. There was blood in my breast milk and it made her vomit up everything she ate. Formula she could keep down.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 8:04 AM on May. 30, 2011

• Can't agree or disagree ... what's the source? Where and who did it come from? It sounds too much like a sweeping generalization to have any real basis in fact. Based on my own children, I know that it can be true but it can also be incorrect so I can't give it any credence.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:07 AM on May. 30, 2011

• No I do not agree my son came out at 10.5 ounces so he was already big
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:18 AM on May. 30, 2011

• I disagree.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:30 AM on May. 30, 2011

• My son was breastfed for 8 months, he was a chunky baby. Not that it hurt him. Now that he's 11, he's worried about gaining weight to be able to play football.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 9:00 AM on May. 30, 2011