Just Heartburn or something else?

I'm just curious I have an appointment with my doctor later this week to discuss this but wanted to get opinions from you ladies. I have what I call heartburn every day and it is worse when I eat; it is in my chest and goes up into my throat and makes me sick. I have tried almost all the OTC medicines for this and only get relief for about 30 minutes.

These are the feelings I have been having--A burning feeling in the chest just behind the breastbone that occurs after eating and lasts a few minutes to several hours; Chest pain, especially after bending over, lying down or eating; Burning in the throat -- or hot, sour, acidic or salty-tasting fluid at the back of the throat; Difficulty swallowing; Feeling of food "sticking" in the middle of the chest or throat.

My question is do you think it is just heartburn or could it be acid reflux or what?

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 8:15 AM on May. 30, 2011 in Health

• It sounds like reflux to me. You'll probably be put on a medication to take every day, as well as told to make modifications to your diet (including when you eat, how much you eat,) and told to elevate your head when sleeping.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:24 AM on May. 30, 2011

• I have similar symptoms and have been diagnosed with reflux. Heartburn and reflux are similar. I was on Protonix for 4 weeks. It helped a lot. There are several drugs, like Prilosec, that you can get in any drugstore, but you should wait now until you have your appointment. Once my symptoms calmed down I am now trying to manage it with diet changes so I don't need meds. Your doctor will probably give you a list of foods that trigger heartburn so you can avoid them. There are lists online too if you google heartburn/reflux. I limit servings and have a couple of crackers between meals to keep the acid in check. 1/2 cup of gingerale before meals really helps too. Make sure it has real ginger in it. The difficulty in swallowing could be something else so make sure you mention that. GL!
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 8:26 AM on May. 30, 2011

• Sounds like reflux, also known as GERD. I've had it for years and take daily doses of now Nexium, but used to to Prilosec. It can be controlled to some degree with diet. Tight fitting clothes around the middle can increase it as well. Never eat and then lay down, this makes it almost unlivable for me. This is my diagnosis...I'm a clerical person so its good you are seeing a real medical doctor.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:01 AM on May. 30, 2011

• I agree - sounds like acid reflux. FYI a friend of mine had terrible acid reflux & cut gluten out of her diet & it completely went away.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 8:26 AM on May. 30, 2011

• If you have shortness of breath it probably something more serious. Without SOB it's likely heartburn, but this should still be diagnosed with more extensive tests if it's chronic and requires a lot of medication to relieve the pain.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:35 AM on May. 30, 2011

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 6 hours ago
    16386 Level 23

I didn't say anything about shortness of breath
    Christmaslver68

Comment by Christmaslver68 (original poster) at 3:14 PM on May. 30, 2011