My Son Is Colic: HELP!!!

My Son was born on Oct 26th 2008 weighing 8 pounds 3 ounces 21 inches long, They did several tests on him as they normally do and EVERYTHING came back perfect! A few weeks after bringing him home I noticed his tear duckt in one of his eyes is not fully developed, I took him to the Dr as I was not sure exactly what was going on. NOW... 4 1/2 weeks later he has started crying between 7:30-8 for and crys for no reason, I've fed him, changed him, loved him,taken him for car rides, and NOTHING is working! He is 6 weeks old now and weighs 9 pounds 6 ounces 23 inches long. I have put him on Gripe Water.. That stuff works GREAT! However. I think its keeping him awake.. Or maybe perhaps his schedule is changing?? I dont know.. Any input on whateles I could do to make him feel comfortable?? I love my Son so much, And I hate seeing him uncomfortable.. :(

NewMommyNMt

Asked by NewMommyNMt at 9:09 AM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• here's a great site for you
    http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/Mosby_factsheets/infant_colic.html
    workenmom

Answer by workenmom at 9:36 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• try this formual... its i believe similac nuetramigin enfimal has it too but its called something different. Basically the proteins it are already broken down so the baby doesn't have to do that. some babies stomachs aren't mature enough to do this for a couple more months. i had to buy this for my son.. its veryy expensive but worked like a charm for me!!! you can get samples from your doctor!!! Good luck!!!!
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 10:19 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• and when all else of all else fails just remember colic isnt forever, he will eventually grow out of it...MINE DID i went threw hell with him, he started his cry fests real late at night i was going postal.
    Shannon85

Answer by Shannon85 at 10:22 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• My son was clolic as well. We went through 8-12 hours a day of nothing but screaming and projectile vomiting!!!I had him in and out of the ER thinking there had to be something wrong...there wasn't. A neighbor of mine told me that her first chlid was the same way, I don't know if you breastfeed but if you do, try cutting out ALL dairy products Turns out my son was lactose intollerant (he has since grown out of it and is now 9 years old) Just keep your chi up and be happy knowing that even though you hate to see your little one in any kind of pain, he is healthy.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 10:44 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• My daughter was born Oct 22, 2008. Same thing, perfect at birth up until 3 wks. She would scream from 7 or 8 until midnite. She would have a good night and then the next would be back to screaming. I took her to the doctor and he prescribed her zantac and that worked somewhat and a friend told me to take her to a chiropractor. I did and she has been perfect ever since. We took her 2 times and it is the best thing I ever did. I also changed her formula to a lactose free sesitive formula ( i use parents choice sensitivity). I did that on my own. If you have any other questions let me know.
    shifee

Answer by shifee at 11:31 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• My daughter was perfect until around 3 weeks and began crying excessively in the afternoon. The babysitter became frustrated after a couple of days. I purchase some gripe water from Target and my sitter said that she is a completely different baby. I recommendation I woudl have is to put the drops in a bottle as my daughter does not like the taste and would often spit it out. It is suppose to be all nature so it is definately worth a try. Good Luck
    maddiemygirl

Answer by maddiemygirl at 11:40 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Have you tried swaddling him? Sometimes that will help. They're used to being all scrunched up in the fetal position.
    Tigger9406

Answer by Tigger9406 at 11:45 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Colic isn't a dignosis... it's a symptom of something else. Almost always related to tummy troubles. Reflux, food allergies, gas... if he is breastfed you may need to cut out foods in your diet, if he is formula fed he may need to go on something like Gentlease or a more special formula like Nutramagen. If he is a spitty baby, it might be reflux... burp him well, keep him up right after feedings. Try some gas drops like Mylicon.
    Maybe he is still hungry... many babys cluster feed at night...
    Maybe over tired, try to get him to bed earlier. Try a nice tight swaddle it make him comfy.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:04 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• My son had colic for about 2 1/2 months. He also has milk, soy protein intolerance and acid reflex. He is on similac alimentum formula and zantac. I tried gripe water and that did not seem to help. I just tried walking up and down the halls and putting him in his swing. Which the swing seemed to help sometimes or lay him so he can see the t.v. on our couch stool. It seems like all babies love the colors on the t.v. Good Luck I know its really hard, but it will pass.
    DJMsmom

Answer by DJMsmom at 4:00 PM on Dec. 9, 2008