IVF (w/ICSI) Tips & Advice Please

My husband and I are doing our first IVF attempt October 2011. I'm 27 (will be 28 by then) and my husband is 31. We have male factor infertility issues (1% morphology). I have read the books, done my research, talked to my RE and generally know what to expect.
But I am wondering if you have any tips and/or advice on anything? Anything you wish you would have known before you started the process or during the process? Any surprises?
Thank you for any help.

isabellem

Asked by isabellem at 9:23 AM on May. 30, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• Try to relax. The medications you have to take put you on an emotional roller coaster. The needles in the butt are the worst as you have to use a thicker needle for the progesterone in oil. You will need someone to give you injections every evening at about the same time.

For our last cycle, I was so stressed, I knew the cycle wouldn't work.  It was a dFET cycle.  35 weeks later, I was holding my twins in my arms.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:52 AM on May. 30, 2011

• Honestly, I wish that I would have known that the three IVF cycles we did would not work so we would have saved ourselves the tens of thousands of dollars.

Afterward, go home and relax and let nature take it's course. If you have male factor infertility, you have a very good chance of this working for you! Good luck!! :-)
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:49 AM on May. 30, 2011

• If it's male infertility factor, doing ICSI will really help. I just did my first round of IVF and found out today that it worked. Here's what I did - after 9 rounds of unsuccessful IUI's I decided I was going all out for the IVF round. I changed my diet to eat healthier, took prenatal vitamins starting the month before retrieval, did acupuncture 2x a week for a month before retrieval, had 2 massages and a pedicure during the week of/after retrieval to help me relax. I also did stomach massage on myself and deep breathing techniques every day that the acupuncturist recommended. The day of the transfer I stayed laying down the whole day (even though they said I could sit up or walk around a little) and the second day I just sat on the couch. I did NO lifting (they say nothing over 20 pounds) but I didn't want to risk lifting anything, no exercise starting the first day of stimulation... and prayed & tried not to think about it
    cookielover20

Answer by cookielover20 at 10:50 PM on May. 31, 2011