4 month wakeful

hello, my dd is 4 months and used to sleep 8 to 4 and now wakes up at 11 and then at 2-3 am. Is this normal? How long does it last? She is not teething, we saw the padi last week. The doc says it will pass, but I need to hear it from you moms. What are your expiriences?

Is there something I can do to help her out?

thanks very much for your help.

lamping

Asked by lamping at 9:42 AM on May. 30, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it's normal, growth spurts also make kids extra hungry so she will wake up for feedings more for things like that too (even if you have one that slept through the night early, lol). Both my kids slept through the night by the time they were 2 months, but growth spurts would make them wake up more for feeding.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:37 AM on May. 30, 2011

• It's totally normal. She's still young. Mine used to wake up every 3 hours like clock work. In fact, she didn't start sleeping through the night until she was well past 1. If you know her tummy is full, and she doesn't need to be fed or changed, maybe try sitting next to her crib and patting her tummy? Or singing to her? Sometimes the tiny ones just need reassurance that momma's around. Those two always seemed to work for my girl.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 9:59 AM on May. 30, 2011

• It's normal for children to wake at night until they are 3 or older. Their stomachs are small and they need to eat frequently. For all of time babies and toddlers have slept with their mothers and nursed during the night. Breastmilk digests in 2-3 hours and it is important for brain development for the child to not go much more than that without food. None of my kids slept through the night until they were 2.5 or older. My 2.5 year old grandson sometimes sleeps for 6 hours straight when he is really tired.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:15 AM on May. 30, 2011

• Just saying... if she wasn't teething at the pedi appt last week, that doesn't mean she isn't now. But anyway, you'd know if she was. It'd be red cheeks and drool everywhere. :P

Aaaanyway... babies change their sleeping patterns A LOT in the first year or two of life. Don't worry about it. Just adapt. :)
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 10:42 AM on May. 30, 2011