Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mental disease and unsupervised visitation

I have been fighting to get supervisied visits or none for my daughters father. He is abusive emotionally and physically. I have a restraining on him but courts still give him unsupervised visits. I have fought for them to get his mental history because I know something is wrong. Over the years I watched in turn into a monster.
Well this afternooon his mother tells me has been diagnosied with schizophernia, paranoia and bipolar. with this help my case?

he has visitation but never shows

she also suggested i speak to her doctors to let them knoe of that because it can be herediary. should i?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on May. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

Answers (10)
  • This will definetly help your case...why? Because these are very serious mental illnesses. Schizophrenia alone is a disease that affect the mental state of mind. If anything he'll get supervised visits by a social worker, or the courts may assign him a counselor to go with him to the visits. I have legal custody of my two nieces because my brother is mentally ill. He was assigned a counselor to bring him to my home, and the counselor sits with him throughout the entire visit.

    Answer by ambr2006 at 9:57 AM on May. 30, 2011

  • Mental illness is hereditary. So that should be something you keep an eye on with your own little ones.

    As for it helping your case, it might. Just make sure you document, document, document!

    Answer by layh41407 at 9:58 AM on May. 30, 2011

  • How would I bring it to the court again. He does not know I know and his mother was the one to tell me. He was so bad in an institiution and the staff told his mother.

    His medical records have documentation of him getting off medications and literally being kicked out of hospitals and banned because of his behavior and violent nature.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:05 AM on May. 30, 2011

  • If he doesn't show for his visits, could you just keep a log of missed visitations for a few months, then file for "as agreed" visitation (meaning you set the rules)? I say this, because unless you can access his medical records to prove his mental illnesses, all you have is what his mother told you. Is she willing to testify to what she said?

    Answer by laird6372 at 10:27 AM on May. 30, 2011

  • As someone who is in a similar situation to your ex, I think supervised visits are a good thing. I have supervised visits with my son (supervised by my parents or my sisters) to ease my ex's mind. He has seen me lash out (though my son has never witnessed this) because of my bipolar/depression/anger issues, and I understand why he wants supervision. So I'm fine with doing that at this point, to make him feel better.
    That said, I have also recently started counselling so that soon, my vists don't have to be supervised. Maybe this is something you could suggest to your ex as well? I know I need the counselling, and the fact that I"m going is also something that eases my ex's mind.
    Good luck!

    Answer by AdensMama0308 at 10:34 AM on May. 30, 2011

  • op, yes this will definitely help your case. Especially if the mother testifies as well. detail the times he was in the hospital, and what his mother said in the petition you'll need to file to change it to supervised visitation. HOWEVER, be aware that they may NOT be-able to get the medical records themselves, but can seek out the doctor to testify or submit his opinion on visitation.
    So if you can, speak with his doctor and have him sign a notarized statement on his diagnosis along with his opinion on your ex being with a child.

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:44 AM on May. 30, 2011

  • adensmama, the only difference is that my ex has no interest in being in my daughters life. he filed for visitation and never shows and files for modification for more time and never shows. I am doing this as a precautionary because they say (after 3 yrs) that I still need to keep the time slots open just in case he decides to come.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:46 AM on May. 30, 2011

  • xxhazleddovexx, i do not know who is dr is and doubt the mom would tell me and due to hipaa I doubt they would give any information.

    DCF does have information on one of instances when he was admitted. he took my daughter to the hospital to claim that she was being abused. the realized it was false and he because very aggressive, crazy and they had him locked up in a hospital for a month or over and released him because his behavior was bad.

    Is it possible that DCF would have info on the visit after he was admitted?

    dcf also told me it would be negligence to leave my daughter with and that that I shouldntt. I told the court that but that are all about fathers here no matter what unless he murders the kids.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:50 AM on May. 30, 2011

  • Why bother if he isn't even trying to see your daughter? In some states it wouldn't matter. There was a father that poured gas on his little boy and set him on fire. The child survived with horrible burns. When the father got out of prison the child was a teen and the court ordered visitation even though the teen never wanted to see his father again. Visitation may be viewed as a parental right.

    My husband was diagnosed with bipolar disorder when I was pregnant with my son. My son was diagnosed with bipolar disorder when he was only 11. He did much better than most teen boys do because he was getting good psychiatric care.

    Answer by Gailll at 1:23 PM on May. 30, 2011

  • Keep the documentation and honestly YOU can tell a judge anything but its not "factual" unless their is PAPERWORK.. you need to have a LETTER from DCF. If his behavior is so severe there is a good chance that he may have a record out there. Contact a lawyer (or several for free consutation) and see what they say
    If you have several years of mised visits DOCUMENTED... go back and modify for as ageed with prior notifiction etc. Checjk for a record.

    Answer by MamiJaAyla at 9:26 PM on May. 30, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.