How would you deal with this?

I told my kids to get dress, we would go to the park. My oldest 7 ASD pitched a fit he couldn't find his shorts, then they weren't the shorts he wanted, then he didn't want to get dressed, then he hated the park.... My little one 3 was not wanting have her hair brushed, she ran from me fought and had to be popped to get her to sit still. Then she refused to find shoes. I finally said 'Never mind, we can't go to the park because no one wants to cooperate and get ready. Kids who act up don't get to go to the park.' This was met with a rush to get ready and apologies all round. I said 'I'm glad you are sorry we still aren't going if I have to fight with you to get you ready to go then we can't go' They said they were done fighting but I stuck to it. WE couldn't go because they had been yelling the last 15 min while I was trying to be nice. Agree? Granted it would be nice to take them to the park to get out. But dang!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on May. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• I agree :) Remember to bring this up if they start to do it again.
    LT70

Answer by LT70 at 9:59 AM on May. 30, 2011

• good job
    evelyn334

Answer by evelyn334 at 10:02 AM on May. 30, 2011

• Great job mom! Setting down what you want them to do and the consequences and then following through is the best that you can do. If you would have given in next time they knew you would give in too!!!
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 10:06 AM on May. 30, 2011

• Good job, stick to what you said. Soon, they'll realize you mean what you say.
    My kids still try to push my buttons but only to a certine extent & they back off. Knowing moms just a little more hardheaded then they are.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 10:07 AM on May. 30, 2011

• Popped? Do you mean you hit your 3 year old? It sounds like that didn't work out too well.

If you want to get cooperative behavior from children (not just fear) you have to give up hitting them and use effective parenting skills. You have to mean what you say and say what you mean. If you say you are going to the park, then you go to the park. If you can't get them "ready" then you take them as they are. If you are going to the park for them and if they only get ready then you tell them that to start with.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:09 AM on May. 30, 2011

• sure Gailll- I'll take DS in his backwards underwear and night shirt...
    and yeah, I popped her leg and you know what? she let me puller her hair back after that. It was the shoes issue next and I wasn
    t fighting anymore.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:11 AM on May. 30, 2011

• I think u did the right thing!
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 10:22 AM on May. 30, 2011

• i'm glad that you stuck to your decision now next time when you say somthing you will get what you wanted the first time and they know that mommy's not going to put up with that .. lol good luck
    mom3902

Answer by mom3902 at 10:31 AM on May. 30, 2011

• Good job. Hopefully they will remember this outcome the next time they have a chance to go to the park. I did something very similar a year or so ago with a trip to McDonalds..
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:32 AM on May. 30, 2011

• I agree. You did a good job sticking to what you said. Now they know they can't pull the 'nice kid' card anymore. Well done.
    Mishie81

Answer by Mishie81 at 10:36 AM on May. 30, 2011