I'm going to start potty training my two and a half year old son this week. Any tips?

We tried a few months ago and neither one of us were ready.

KatieGanshert

Asked by KatieGanshert at 10:09 AM on May. 30, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Patience lol, my cousin had ease potty training the oldest and youngest but when it came to the middle child, that youngin refused to use the potty and did not completely potty train until she was 4. No Im not trying to scare you but every child is different. I have also read that not to bribe them with candy, toddlers are smart and will soon catch on and be like well you know I don't want the candy so I'm not worried about using the potty. But reading in the first year magazine, it did state to put them on the potty after eatting or waking or playing, but no longer than 5 mins and in that 5 mins have a potty party lol etc. reading a book, singing and so forth :) good luck!
    StephMarie152

Answer by StephMarie152 at 10:22 AM on May. 30, 2011

• do you have carpets? If not then I would just let him wander around in regular undies. I would make sure you don't have anywhere to be for a few days, that way you don't have to worry about either accidents while out, or back tracking by putting a diaper on. The Only time I used pullups were at bedtime. Never during the day. I felt like he didn't get the "wet sensation" with the pullups that he would in regular undies to help signal to him that he needed to go to the bathroom. I had my son going on the toilet within the week, but getting him to pee standing up was really hard, and he refused to do it til his Daddy got home from deployment and showed him. He didnt care that his cousins, or uncles showed him how, he refused. I also got the Kandoo wipes and showed him how to wipe his own bottom. Some people say reward system with stickers and treats, but it didn't seem to make too much of a difference to him.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:25 AM on May. 30, 2011

• Don't stress about it and don't overplan. Take it at a pace that is led by him - ask him on a regular basis if he has to use the potty and sit him on it if you think he does, and hopefully before too long he will learn when he has to go and he will ask you.

We started potty training my son at about 18 months and then my ex and I broke up, which generally resulted in our son backtracking. He really refused to potty train at all until a little while ago. He turned 3 in March and he's finally getting good at it in the last couple of months.

Good luck!
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 10:48 AM on May. 30, 2011

• get the potty into the livingroom, grab a bunch of books and sit down activities and get ready to dedicate 3 days to it.
    day one: start by sitting him on the potty until he goes. After he goes the first time, give him 30 minutes of play off the potty, then back to the potty. Every time after that add another 10 minutes until you hit an ahour (so when he goes the second time, give him 40 mins of play, after the third time, 50 minutes, and then from then on, it's an hour).
    day two: start off at an hour, if he's doing good and half way through the day, give him freedom to try to remember to go himself (don't use pull ups, in fact if you can, let him go bare bottom) if not, restart to day one.
    day three, if he's got it, go with it for half the day bare bottom then add in the undies. if not, keep trying to repeat day one.
    day four, little man is trained. if not keep try day one-two.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:07 AM on May. 30, 2011

• rules: 1:don't yell at the child for accidents. it's not their fault, never punish for that.
    2: this is just day time training, you'll need to work night time in after he's mastered day time, so keep pull ups available for night time and even outtings for the first week or so after.
    3. this does work, however it takes some dedication on both your part and his part.
    4. be enthusiastic when he does go potty, some even recommend a reward system.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:10 AM on May. 30, 2011

• Super helpful responses! Thanks ladies!
    KatieGanshert

Comment by KatieGanshert (original poster) at 1:55 PM on May. 30, 2011