Helping kids make friends?

How do you help your kids make friends? Shy kids have this problem, of course, but so do more outgoing kids. Ideas, anyone?

ElizaTucker

Asked by ElizaTucker at 9:13 AM on Dec. 9, 2008 in General Parenting

• I firmly believe that there are some things we shouldn't try to fix as parents. Some of us are blessed that people are drawn to us while some of us struggle with that for our whole lives. But while you don't have to fix it per se there are things that you can do to make it a bit more easy. There is a whole world out there that has nothing to do with school or the local neighborhood. Enrolling a child in a class outside the school can be beneficial. Like dance or karate. It helps develop a health sense of self esteem and usually the classes are small so friends usually are easier to make. As well as it is structured. The key is to pick something your child is very interested in so he/she wants to go and has something in common with others who equally enjoy being a part of that group. Try a couple of different activities until one fits just right.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:31 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• My 3 year old is really out going but if she has a shy moment I will take her up to the child that is closest to her age and introduce them and ask if the other child wants to play with us. I will then play for a little bit with the two of them to make sure everybody is getting along and then I back off and they play. It generally works well for her but I hardly ever have to do this because she has decided that every kid she comes in contact with is her friend
    lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 10:34 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I believe this is something that they should do on their own, we just moved to a new town a few months ago and my kids all had to make new friends, within a couple of days at being in school they all had made a couple of friends that they hang out with on a regular basis.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 11:19 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• My daughter was very shy so I put her in dance class and she made lots of friends. I continue to put her in girl scouts, basketball etc.....now in 10th grade she is on the track team. My daughter still will not introduce herself ......and thats ok but is a great friend to others. She has thanked me for putting her in organized groups. It really built her self-esteem. Remember some kids are just shy and that is ok but make sure they know how to stand up for themselves.
    haveahappyday

Answer by haveahappyday at 5:38 PM on Dec. 9, 2008