Please don't judge me....But I have severe spinal problems and my doctor has recommended I stay on a pian medicine. However to avoid having to have the baby detox she wants me to go to a clinic to be prescirbed Methadone or Subutex (?). Has anyone else dealt with this?

I have 2 herniated discs, 1 bulging disc, Fibrolmyalgia, arthritis through my spine, severe spinal bone degeneration that is so advanced the doctors who reviewed my MRI results thought they were looking at the spine of a 65 year old woman and that was when I was only 25.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on May. 30, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I would thoroughly research the methadone and subutex before making a decision. A lot of women, and ones that get ticked at me on here for choices I make after telling them I've done the research and it isn't worth the risks, will just do as the doctor says. They really don't know everything about everything. They can't. Things change. They find out things AFTER things happen to one of their patients. I would read all about them and see the risks if any to your unborn baby. Then I would weigh the risks of all of your decisions before coming to a decision. Remember, you are the patient and you have the right to refuse part or all of your treatment if need be. If she insists and you don't want to, find another doctor. Good luck to you and congrats on the baby!
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 10:49 AM on May. 30, 2011

• Thank you, attap5! I have done my research on it. She has said I can stay on the regular pain medicine but the baby may have to detox from the narcotic. I have talked to several doctors and they said ABSOLUTELY DO NOT ween off of or stop taking the medicine because even this point in my pregnancy there is a higher risk of miscarriage if I do that and even have a mild withdrawal. But I have heard methadone and subutex can be bad too, they are just not narcotics and would not require the baby to detox. I don't want my baby to have to go through detox for days and maybe weeks because of me! I just don't even know where to start to research it further.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:56 AM on May. 30, 2011

• Would breast feeding after birth be an option, to help baby with detox? I have heard so many bad things about methadone. I agree with PP though, do your research and don't be led around by the nose by the doctor. I hope you and your baby get through this birth and are fine. Lots of luck momma!
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 11:11 AM on May. 30, 2011

• The breast feeding is going to depend on a variation of things. I also have high blood pressure, which has actually been fine so far in my pregnancy without medication. But I may have to go back on it after I give birth, if I do, I cannot breast feed. I don't know about that helping with the detox, i honestly didn't think of that. I just assumed it woudl hurt the baby. I have heard bad things abut methadone also, but I know nothing about Subutex. It scares me because it makes me feel like I am a heroine or cocaine addict. I have legitimate medical problems and have seen countless specialists, etc and so far the meds are the only option I have to be able to even walk. I am not ready to have a major back surgery that could end up paralyzing me, I am only 31 years old. I wish I even knew where to find all of this info. Thanks!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:29 AM on May. 30, 2011

• I have horrible back problems, and my pms gave me a pain patch that worked pretty well. It only went to the certain area and so I didn't have to worry about my baby getting addicted to the medication, and I could BF after having her. It's a choice that I would highly recommend.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:38 AM on May. 30, 2011

• Was it he lidocaine patch? Because that didn't work for me at all. It actually started giving me rashes.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:32 PM on May. 30, 2011

• just look up the meds the dr said you should take
    Jssg1986

Answer by Jssg1986 at 3:39 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I was on hydrocodone for my back when I became pregnant and my doctor switched me to oxycodone because it's safer during pregnancy. I didn't have to worry about the detox because my son was a preemie. However, if I were to have stayed on the pain meds I would have to slowly ween off roughly a few weeks before my EDD. Do the research and weigh out your pros and cons. Like my doctor told me-It doesn't do the baby any good if the mother is in extreme pain.
    Good luck sweetie!
    Judahsmommy96

Answer by Judahsmommy96 at 4:00 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Thank you so much. I am on oxycodone at a much much lower dose than I normally would be. My doctor suggested me going to a methadone/subutex/suboxone clinic. But its in a terrible neighborhood (VERY VERY DANGEROUS) if they suggest methadone, I dont believe they provide you a script, they make you go every single morning at 5:30 am in that horrible area (when its still dark and you could be in line for hours. I have to work at 8 am thats not realistic for me, because my boss had already cut my hours in half when I told him I was pregnant. I would much rather try the subutex (sp?) if they prescribe it and I can get it filled at a pharmacy. I don't want to be in a line for hours in a the dark with junkies. It scares me. My family doctor who is in charge of my pain meds, and she is one of those NO MEDICINE IS THE BEST MEDICINE when you are pregnant and scares me saying the baby would be similar 2 a cocaine baby/crack baby.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:15 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I am 40 y/o and i have endometriosis, and i have been on tramadol for four years...a week before i found out i was pregnant, i was about to go on suboxone, to get off the tramadol.....when i found out i was pregnant, my doc prescribed me subutex...i have been on it about 2 weeks now...im not sure the effects it has, but i have been having some light bleeding, and not sure if its from the subutex or not...but if you know any info that i dont on the subject, i would love to hear about it..thanks...Jo
    oneday12

Answer by oneday12 at 12:14 AM on Jul. 5, 2011